Re: my new website - feedback required...

"Dave (from the UK)" <see-my-signature@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message news:44b78b38@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owen wrote:
Hi,

I can't beleive it, I've actually found a UK based newsgroup for website
authors.

Anyway. I wondered if you would be so kind as to give me any comments /
feedback / criticism of my latest website. It's a personal site where I
will be showcasing my fiction writing.

The URL is http://www.riptheuglybluevoidfromyourhead.com

The domain name.

Huh?

Umm, the domain name is "riptheuglybluevoidfromyourhead.com"

The URL is http://www.riptheuglybluevoidfromyourhead.com

If you want people to be critical of the site, make it easy for them -
post the username and password to log in. I for one are not going to email
you for a username/password.

You don't need a login to evaluate the site. All it gives you is access to
the full pieces of fiction and ability to comment on the stories.

Or do you mean emailing for a username/password is a bad idea generally?
Would a "signup" page be better? (Bearing in mind I am deliberately being
tight with the logins I hand out).

HTML will not validate. There is no character encoding (there have been
recent posts about this) or doctype.

I know the HTML doesn't validate and frankly I don't much care. It displays
fine in 3 separate browsers and I doubt any passing visitor will give a shit
what the HTML looks like. I used to make every effort to get it passed by
validators but nowadays I've come to realise that life is too short for
that.

Instead of "WANT A LOGIN?" add the word "do" or "would you like a login?

Good point - thanks, I've changed this.

Not sure what you have done here.

Click "contact" or one of the other menus on the left, then "home" and you
have broken a broken link.

Ah, it was the 'Home' link that was the only broken one. Thanks for
pointing it out.

Oh, and buy another domain name. I made the mistake of having a long
domain name

- it really is a pain.

Normally I would agree with you on short domain names - especially for
commercial ventures. But this is a personal / hobby site and the name is
*deliberately* long, as a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing. You have to look
really hard to see what the hell it says.

Owen

.