Re: Amend charter of uk.rec.cycling.moderated

On 07/04/2011 09:23, Tony Raven wrote:
Tony<tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You say 'dictate moderation', I say, 'show concern about moderation
policy and its fair application'.

Either way, the FAQ says how it's moderated is up to the users of the group
and no-one else. And the "concern shown" by Committee members is it should
be run differently from how the users want it.

I see users of the group posting their concerns. I'll also point out, the moderated news group FAQ I believe your quoting was last changed in 1997, and it's a FAQ, not a hierarchy management document.

Anyone who uses the uk.* hierarchy is welcome to take part in the overall
management of that hierarchy. Some people believe that a badly moderated
group (if they believe the group is badly moderated) reflects badly on the whole hierarchy.

But non-democratic illiberal intervention nevertheless against the wishes
of the majority of users of the group.

As others have pointed out, it may not actually be possible to say that without a vote. The previous vote (in which several committee members voted for creation of the group) led to a charter and moderation policy which not everyone believes is being followed in the way it was assumed it would be. I see people who use the group saying that.

--
Tony Evans
Saving trees and wasting electrons since 1993

  • Re: Ping: The Committee
    ... squabbling. ... is the group to serve its audience or the hierarchy? ... You might like to start by committing the policy to ignoring who is posting ...
    (uk.net.news.management)
  • Re: Draft RFD: uk.rec.cycling.moderated
    ... The remit of the UK Usenet Committee is to provide leadership in policy ... concerning the uk.* news hierarchy. ...
    (uk.net.news.config)
  • UK usenet committee election underway
    ... for anyone who cares about how the uk.* hierarchy is run, ... your annual chance to select committee members. ... regular here is standing, ...
    (uk.media.tv.sf.babylon5)
  • Re: Recommendations for use of Policy CA in small PKI solutions
    ... or three levels in the CA hierarchy with or without HSM modules. ... Offline Root, Offline Policy CA and two issuing CA's ... if the Policy CA does not make use of qualified subordination using ... papers about the use of Policy CA's with pros and cons would be appriciated. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Happiness as a government policy
    ... hierarchy, as some silliness would have it. ... Another mistake with such policy conclusions refers to the peer ... does one really care more about his lower economic status ... inequality) of the country would be the same, but the happiness of the ...
    (uk.philosophy.humanism)