Re: Why so many relics

Stan Barr <stanb45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:33:10 +0100, Woody <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Indeed. Although I don't really find the strat attractive, but the tele
is.. I don't know, *purposely* ugly.

I wouldn't describe the Tele as "ugly"! The styling is in the "Modernist"
vein that was popular in the '40s. Think '30s/'40s architecture, Westinghouse
refrigerators, Airstream caravans etc. Speaking with my artist's hat on, I
think it's an excellent example of good industrial design.

It is a good design, I am not doubting that. It is a purposeful shape,
i just find it ugly (but yes, very indicative of its time).

Take, for example,
the shape of the scratchplate with a mix of straight edges and curves and the
way the bridge and contol plate *just* cut into the straight back edge.
The work of a real designer - I don't know who, but Leo's original was much
cruder in concept, artistically.

Do you have a picture of that? i cant see anything on the web at a brief
look.

My '74 Tele looks newer than many of the new ones - I look after it!
Been playing jazz on it lately, just to show it's versatility :-)

What a cruel thing to do to a guitar!

--
Woody
Alienrat Design Ltd

  • Re: Announcing A New Unifying Principle of the Evolutionary Sciences
    ... >> that continually calculates the design (morphology) and distribution ... Its the same as the naturally occurring purposeful entity ... cube root of the length of his sleigh, and distribution of its constituent ...
    (sci.bio.evolution)
  • Re: I would like to know.
    ... evolution can produce things that purposeful ... design cannot, nor can pure chance. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Winston lies again...
    ... That was a 30 second search. ... ask.......there are hundreds of examples of such purposeful attempts ... butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)