Re: New Les Paul problem

anything@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:00:55 -0700, eastmond.service1@xxxxxxx wrote:

On 5 Jul, 14:42, 100550.3...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (MG) wrote:
Hi

Just picked up my 6 week old Les Paul and noticed the top E is
fouling on the upper frets and not ringing. It's been in its case
laying flat for a couple weeks under the bed...

Not sure if I should start fiddling with neck adjustment and surely
raising the bridge will throw the string height and radius out...
any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

New Les Paul? Get a guitar tech to look at it. Les Pauls are delicate
little sods and their setup can drift a bit with newness, string
changes and new methods of storage.

Nige.

'Zactly. Take it to a decent tech, tell him what weight strings you
want on it (and if possible which brand) and get it set up properly.

Most reputable dealers throw in a set up with a new guitar sale - it's
likely if you go back to the dealer you'll get a set up for free - try
it.

Of all the guitars I've played, LPs are the most capable of a stable low
action. A friend of mine, a pro, has an LP with the most impossibly low
action I've ever seen. It's just ridiculous. Maybe 1mm at the octave. No
buzzes, no chokes. Seems to be stable, regardless of weather. I'm told
the reason is a particularly good setup by a luthier with a clue. And
some stable wood - it's aged, and hasn't become over-sensitive to e.g.
humidity.

If the action was set low, and it's a new guitar - sounds pretty normal
to me. You might just want to raise the action a tad, and leave it to
settle down. If you can get it setup by a good luthier, even better - I
have a suspicion that guitars stabilise better if setup properly in the
first place...

Alternative answer: a new LP lying for 2 weeks unused under the bed? Are
you mad? ;)

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

.