Re: Something to amuse and educate?

Steve Cobham wrote:
Just a silly idea, but sure to provoke some discussion, I
hope.........

Imagine you have £1000 to spend on an amp and a guitar - no effects,
just the two items. Both must be brand new. You want to be able to gig
them in venues along the lines of a medium-sized pub.

<snip>

Good thread! I'll play along, sort of.

I'm with Rick. £1000 for a guitar and an amp puts us in utilitarian
workmanlike tool territory I think .. and herein lies the rub.. I'm not
sure for run of the mill swag I'd hand over a grand to a shop.

Anything spent on new gear at retail automatically sends 14.89% in VAT
to the chancellor... so on our grand we're getting £850 'worth' of
product. Then there's the dealer margin. I shouldn't imagine they're
operating on much shy of 35%-40%... so straight away your grand buys
you at best... a bottom line of £250 per device....

So, that's what..a hundred quids worth of bits+labour+skill+QC+shipping
at the manufacturers? In 2006 your thousand quid gets you
Mexican/Chinese/Korean/Indonesian manufactured 'stuff' made to a price
and little else.

Fod, I hear you say, you're talking rubbish..."I bought a $thing for
$amount and it's indistiguishable from a %expensive_thing costing
%lots_more?!"

Yes, of course you did. Yes, Korean guitars are lovely. No, from a
distance you can't tell that it's a 'photoflame'. Yes, you can always
'upgrade the pickups later'. Yes Schaller make nice machineheads which
will stay in tune and wont tarnish like cheap jewelery. Yes, the paper
cone in your chinese chipboard amp sounds exactly like asscontents and
you can 'put a celestion in it later'.. etc. etc.

So, I'd say.. for the majority of people walking into a shop and
spending a grand (of *taxed income*) on 'new stuff' it's more or less
akin to setting light to a wad of tenners.

You *are* buying (and this is very important for a lot of people) a
shiny new thing and a lot of feel good factor. That's short lived
though and I'd hazard a guess that there's plenty of smarter things to
do with your thousand quid.

  • Re: Something to amuse and educate?
    ... Imagine you have £1000 to spend on an amp and a guitar - no effects, ... Both must be brand new. ...
    (uk.music.guitar)
  • Re: guitar stuff
    ... mentioning the pad), and the guitar seems stuck in one dynamics, not ... really knowing what to express. ... so you'll just have to imagine what it would ... about it(turning off the comrpessor in the amp does fix it a little but not ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • Re: guitar stuff
    ... mentioning the pad), and the guitar seems stuck in one dynamics, not ... the midi are drums and the guitar is from a software amp emulator(I ... so you'll just have to imagine what it would ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • Re: guitar stuff
    ... mentioning the pad), and the guitar seems stuck in one dynamics, not ... so you'll just have to imagine what it would ... about it(turning off the comrpessor in the amp does fix it a little but not ...
    (rec.music.theory)
  • My recent GAS: Stellar guitar/Peavey Tube Amp
    ... A second guitar will be on its way once I ... watt tube amp form a guy off of Craig's List. ... The weak point of this guitar are the pickups. ... but more about that when I get to the amp portion ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)