Re: A funny thing happened on the way to Linux

"Depresion" <127.0.0.1> set the following eddies spiralling through the
space-time continuum:

"JAF" <anarchSPAMKILLER@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:01:04 +0100, "Depresion" <127.0.0.1> wrote:

"JAF" <anarchSPAMKILLER@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Over the past few days, I've been playing with Ubuntu (again).
I used the 'Live Disc' option, to avoid a long install, but couldn't
get my
wireless connection working (*). So, I thought I'd install it
properly, and
see if that made a difference; it didn't. So I uninstalled it again,
but then couldn't boot WXP - I'd get the first Windows screen followed
by a dead
stop, and an error message to the effect that 'I can't find grub'.

The GRUB error is far too common with Ubuntu, it's by far the least
reliable
Linux I've ever used, but a lot quicker to set up than most.

But it was a grub error with windows, after removing Ubuntu.

That's because Ubuntu doesn't do a clean uninstall, it leaves the MBR
buggered, with Red Hat it used to be possible to uninstall but keep the
boot loader (quite handy as it was a good one when if like me you had 4
OSs on the one PC depending on what you needed.

Have you got a boot floppy with FDISK on it? The undocumented option
FDISK /MBR
may well lay down a standard Windows MBR for you to boot from. so sending
GRUB (stands for Grand Unified Boot apparently) crawling back where it came
from.

(I use SuSE v9 myself, no probs.)
--
ξ:) Proud to be curly

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to get out of sh:grub>
    ... I'm beginner with ubuntu, I have used ubuntu wubi 9.10 for this ... Ubuntu installed in a dual boot arrangement with XP. ... If I install Grub onto the internal drive, ... to the USB Drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall
    ... keep all the other partitions since the MBR is kept. ... Sorry to ask this question in ubuntu list. ... During the XP install process you can delete all of your partitions ... partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Booting from LiveCD
    ... I booted into OpenFirmware and ... The last bit - \install\yaboot- is the path to the install program on ... I'm a complete tyro at linux but I got a version up and running on my ... I tried Ubuntu and had pretty much the same problem you have. ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)