Sky at Night - TLPs

I've just read about these things called Transient
Lunar Phenomena that have, allegedly, been known
about since Ye Dark Ages.

Part of the problem is that it's amateurs who make
the majority of sightings. Presumably they do this
when the moon is visible.

Now, I know they aren't cheap to the average working
man, but there are such things as telescopes with
camera mountings; and they have been around for
years; and the moon is the nearest thing to us in
astrophysical terms.

It's over a decade since the jennicam launched and
these things are visible to the clergy in Kent a good
700 years before the development of specacles.

Perhaps it is a bit typecasting to header this as the
sole province of Sky At Night but surely someone
in some kind of "science" programming somewhere
in the UK could have set up a cheap and simple
data capture from the skylight in their attic or shed.

Like the Met Office, who can surely extrapolate the
positions it would be in at different times at night
and have an array of barometers, only some of
which are automatic.

SETI? STI might be a more appropriate project, but
then apparently a good half of kids don't know where
there nearest GU clinic is.

I would despair but I can always find something to
be optimistic about; shame it's generally not people.

G DAEB
COPYRIGHT (C) 2008 SIPSTON

  • Re: Why no decent Moon globes?
    ... Our local office supply used to stock a 12" and 24" globes ... plastic laminated moon maps at only $12.50 each. ... I would try 'Toys R Us' ... Poor printing, misaligned seams, cheap, cheap ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: High rate lunar mission architecture
    ... purpose of your trip to. ... cheap flights are available, some will go to the moon for scientific ... It's not enough to be "relatively cheap". ...
    (sci.space.tech)
  • Re: A Railgun on Earth
    ... robots to the Moon - the time delay not being too great - that could ... produce, and anything but cheap. ... fusion power - which hasn't been forthcoming on schedule - we have the ... the powwer of thje future, ...
    (sci.space.policy)
  • Re: UN Warns of Biofuels Environmental Risk
    ... The first space flight didn't reach the moon, ... Would it be cheap enough to offset the cost, ... Clean cheap energy in enormous quantities, energy that could make the hydrogen economy so many dream of practical. ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: Get an External
    ... >If your laptop has a COM port that you can spare, rush down to the nearest ... >computer store and pick up one of those cheap <$50 external modems. ...
    (alt.os.linux)