Re: schemes - Kenton and Nigel (and Eddie); also boarding school

* Al Menzies wrote, On 01/09/2010 10:15:
On 01/09/2010 09:52, Jo Lonergan wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:56:15 +0100, the
Omrud<usenet.omrud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 30/08/2010 14:54, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message<UjOeo.38796$_s6.37319@hurricane>, the Omrud
<usenet.omrud@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
[]
Is it only me who was disturbed by the tone of this discussion?
Nigle
was clearly in charge of the decision and Lizzie didn't question
that.

Hmm. I got the impression they'd "put down" the frillies' names when
they were born, and that Lizzie _had_ been in agreement then, though
perhaps not given it a lot of thought (but that wasn't Nigel's
fault).

Yes, I'm sure that's the case. She changed her opinion.

It didn't seem to be a discussion between equals, but more like the
minority shareholder asking the chairman for a favour which he
might,
or might not, agree to. I can't imagine being in a marriage like
that.

I think they have a very good one; look how he's given in.

But she seemed to take it for granted that it was his decision to
make.
If he hadn't accepted her suggestion, she'd have had to lump it.

I thought that the idea of Niggle as a Victorian paterfamilias was a
bit
bizarre, too. Since when was Lizzie so deferential?

Even more bizarrely, she was the one who had to give Nigel permission
to go ahead with the allotment scheme. So he takes decisions about the
family, and she takes decisions about the business.

Or, to word it slightly differently, neither of them will take major decisions unilaterally, whether about the business or the family. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. (Lewis Carroll)

  • Re: schemes - Kenton and Nigel (and Eddie); also boarding school
    ... was clearly in charge of the decision and Lizzie didn't question that. ... they were born, and that Lizzie _had_ been in agreement then, though ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: $1000/week?
    ... > Is it possible to make $1000/week with straight MT? ... Now, mind you, the ... Lizzie, when I owned my business I had one sub whom I paid an average of ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: schemes - Kenton and Nigel (and Eddie); also boarding school
    ... J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote: ... was clearly in charge of the decision and Lizzie didn't question that. ... they were born, and that Lizzie _had_ been in agreement then, though ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: First Sandi, then Bambi,
    ... Congratulations, Lizzie! ... For a lot of long-winded reasons, I decided a few months ago to make a dream of mine happen: sell my counted cross stitch designs and, ultimately, to bankroll a needlework shop. ... My goal within 10 years is to have the fantasy shop called The Midnight Stitcher (I plan to be open at oddball hours because most needlework stores go out of business because they keep banker's hours). ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: schemes - Kenton and Nigel (and Eddie); also boarding school
    ... was clearly in charge of the decision and Lizzie didn't question that. ... they were born, and that Lizzie _had_ been in agreement then, though ... bizarre, too. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)