Re: My Mate pops up in London for Christmas.

the Omrud wrote:
Gumrat wrote:
chris mcmillan wrote:
In message <4b019de8$0$4041$5402220f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gumrat <gumrat@xxxxxxxxx> writes
http://www.marmitepopup.co.uk/ http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/nov/13/christmas-marmite-popup-shops

Robert Dyas have got a sprinkling of Marmite products - I've been
a bit reluctant to share this fact ..........

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/

I typed in keyword Marmite in box to find the four products.

Oooooooooooooh, I want that mug :-) I'm not allowed to eat real Marmite any more cos of the high salt content and my BP, so am forced to make do with the Swiss no salt version of Cenovis, which provokes equally strong reactions amongst consumers but in my NSHO is not as good as the Real Thing :-)

Is it really necessary to avoid Marmite because of the salt? Although
the percentage of salt is very high, the portion sizes are so small
that that absolute amount of salt is acceptable.

As a quick test, I weighed my jar before and after putting Marmite on
two large slices of toast. I reckon I put 5g on each (the "portion size" is 4g, so that's about right). That would give 0.5g of salt in
the Marmite on each slice. There's quite possibly more salt in the
bread, especially if you are sparing with the Marmite - a sliced Hovis wholemeal loaf tells me that it has 0.53g of salt per slice.

I eat and drink Marmite by the tablespoon (15gm) and the bread I eat has
about 0.15gm of salt per 40gm slice. Are you sure Hovis has that much salt
per slice? Seems a lot to me. Unless I'm reading the nutritional of my
bread wrongly - for a 400gm loaf, total salt content is 1.3 per cent. Have
I done the sums correctly?

--
Tout de bonbon, Anne, Seriously, Traditionally-Traditionally Built Gumbat
.