Re: OT - Queen of Sheba

Marjorie wrote:
the Omrud wrote:
Siderius Nuncius wrote:
I heard a version of Handel's 'Arrival of the Queen of Sheba' today which really made me smile. I thought it would appeal to a lot of umrats. Available on iPlayer here:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00np1xs/Radio_3_Requests_Chichi_Nwanoku/>

(Starts about a minute in and worth 3 minutes of anyone's time, I reckon.)

I heard it on my way to sing in a choral Remembrance Day service and it brought a smile to my face. I would encourage people to listen onwards through the programme to the Rachmaninov Vespers which are just astonishing, and which contain a rare bottom Bb for us low folk.

Oh, I just love the Rachmaninov. I think I enjoyed it more than anything else I've ever sung in (except possibly the Bach passions, and Bernstein's Chichester psalms).

I adore the Chichester Psalms. But for sheer inane <grin> singing, you can't beat Rossini's Petite Messe Solenelle (which is neither ...). It's not such great music, but it is so much *fun*. I bounce while singing it (May 2010 is my next chance).

--
David

  • Re: OT - Queen of Sheba
    ... Available on iPlayer here: ... I heard it on my way to sing in a choral Remembrance Day service and it brought a smile to my face. ... I would encourage people to listen onwards through the programme to the Rachmaninov Vespers which are just astonishing, and which contain a rare bottom Bb for us low folk. ... I once remarked in umra that I had written instructions that at my funeral the recessional music was to be the Cum Sancto Spiritu from the Petite Messe Solenelle and someone posted back to say that at the end of that section s/he felt like turning to a neighbour and saying "And how was it for you?" ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: OT - Queen of Sheba
    ... Available on iPlayer here: ... I heard it on my way to sing in a choral Remembrance Day service and it brought a smile to my face. ... I would encourage people to listen onwards through the programme to the Rachmaninov Vespers which are just astonishing, and which contain a rare bottom Bb for us low folk. ... I once remarked in umra that I had written instructions that at my funeral the recessional music was to be the Cum Sancto Spiritu from the Petite Messe Solenelle and someone posted back to say that at the end of that section s/he felt like turning to a neighbour and saying "And how was it for you?" ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: OT - Queen of Sheba
    ... I thought it would appeal to a lot of umrats. ... Available on iPlayer here: ... De Dannan are rather good at this sort of thing (they did a version of Bohemian Rhapsody (Hibernian Rhapsody) that can actually be listened to more than once with enjoyment.) I suspect that it's because their basic musicianship is a cut above that of most Irish bands. ... To enforce the pained impotent to smile. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: OT - Queen of Sheba
    ... really made me smile. ... I thought it would appeal to a lot of umrats. ... Available on iPlayer here: ... email jane at cloth and clay dot co dot uk ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: OT - Queen of Sheba
    ... Siderius Nuncius wrote: ... I thought it would appeal to a lot of umrats. ... Available on iPlayer here: ... I heard it on my way to sing in a choral Remembrance Day service and it brought a smile to my face. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)