Re: Ask EU: Ubuntu

Tim Hall <timhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 00:02:29 +0000, Derek Turner <frderek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:56:49 +0000
Tim Hall <timhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can I jump in with a Ubuntu question of my own?

I've just installed 8.10 on a machine that previously had W2k on it.
Said machine has two hard disks, one of which is used as a data store.
As I wasn't comptely sure what I was doing during the install, I
disconnected that drive,installed on the other drive and then
reconnected the data drive.

No major dramas, new drive recognised OK. But what I'd like to do is
set the /home partition to be on the new drive. At the moment it's a
folder on the other drive, and not even on a separate partition.

To complicate matters slightly the data store drive was partitioned
into three, called Data Partition, OS1 partition and OS2 partition.
This was when I had vague ideas a year ago of installing two OSs onto
each of those partitions, both looking at the data partition. It's
NTFS if that makes a difference.

so what was the question?

Is there a way of making the Data Partition on the data store drive
the /home/user_name folder? Bearing in mind that the data storedrive
was added to the machine after Ubuntu was installed and the current
/home folder is on the "other" drive.

The answer is "yes", but there is still a lot more to ask. Do you want
to keep any of the existing data? Is there any good reason not to clean
out the second disk (copying useful data off it onto the main one for
the time being) and reformat it in a Linux format. You're going to get
some (I don't know how big) performance hits from having your home
directory in a foreign file format.

My recommendation would be to (I've invented all the paths below, but
I'm sure you can replace them with whatever you actually get). This is
the command line version, you can do all of this interactively if you
want (but it's a lot harder to describe!).
mkdir other_data
cp -rp /media/data_partition other_data
umount /media/data_partition
use fdisk /dev/whatever to remove all the partitions off the old disk
use mkfs.ext? /dev/whatever to put a filesystem on the "old" disk
mount /dev/whatever /media/data_patition
cp -rp other_data /media/data_partition
sudo favourite_editor /etc/fstab
remove any line referencing the old disk
add a line:
/dev/whatever /home/user_dir ext? rw,user,auto,exec,utf8
save and exit
reboot.

Note that with that done, any data you had under /home/user_dir is
hidden and wasted space. Once you know all is working well you could
umount the disk and copy or delete it to get the space back.
--
Online waterways route planner: http://canalplan.org.uk
development version: http://canalplan.eu

  • Re: Renaming question
    ... since I do not have a restoration disk or partition for the computer, ... Wipe the hard disk and do a fresh and clean install of Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OT Dual Boot
    ... the MBR and then will only boot "supported" Windows ... The extended partition gets ... That also makes disk imaging usable. ... When I install an OS I back it up as a disk image, ...
  • Re: Dual Boot 98SE and XP on two hard drives with PartitionMagic
    ... >> I have never used the boot manager tools of Partition Magic ... >> on a slave disk. ... > 6) Install XOSL via a bootable floppy ... Primary master disk, primary partition 1, hidden: ...
  • Windows on Mac - how to.
    ... No-nonsense instructions for those "in the know". ... A custom slipstreamed CD is required to install XP on a Mac. ... This procedure WILL WIPE YOUR iMAC DISK CLEAN. ... Partition the disk in two using the OSX CD: ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: xp on intel Mac from usb stick?
    ... Would it be possible to run windows xp native from a usb stick? ... A custom slipstreamed CD is required to install XP on a Mac. ... partition managers but if you're feeling adventurous you may ... This procedure WILL WIPE YOUR iMAC DISK CLEAN. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)