Writing a will

I have considered this several times and asked questions from personal viewpoint but this is more general. I see that Sir Jimmy Saville's will is the latest in a long line of stories about folk ( family and all comers it seems) contesting wills. In several previous instances wills have been over turned and money directed not as requested. More than that costs have no doubt led to depletion of anything received by beneficiaries.

So I ask - what is the point of writing a will if they are contested and over turned by courts any way? It seems that its always a bone of contention and so many people feel aggrieved aside of the fact wishes are not regarded. So why bother? (I haven't written my will yet. I know intestacy cannot be contested despite what various family members might want)).

.