Re: lottery tickets and shop workers

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:58:58 -0800 (PST), TimB <stokefolk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Feb 28, 8:57 pm, Alex Heney <m...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28 Feb 2011 15:16:57 GMT, hurpdurp <hurpd...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Bob works in a newsagents.  Bob happens to be a math genius.  Bob has
cracked one of the scratch card lotto card systems sold in the shop where
he works.

We don't know that any of the scratchcards produced for our lottery
are crackable.

But hypothetically, if they are ...

Is Bob committing any offence if he buys tickets?

Almost certainly.

I'm pretty sure that no employee of camelot or any of their agents are
allowed to buy tickets, regardless of cracking any system.

That may be against the lottery T&Cs, but I doubt very much that it's
based in law. The numerous media reports of shop workers winning the
lottery would suggest that it isn't even against the T&Cs.

It certainly is: (note b & c)
https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/termsandconditions.ftl#RulesOffline_Sal
(F) Purchase and Prize Restrictions
(1) There shall be no general right for any person to purchase a
Ticket or an Offline Direct Debit. In particular, but without
limitation, no Ticket or Offline Direct Debit may be purchased by or
Prize paid to:
(a) any Minor whether acting on his own behalf or on behalf of another
person;
(b) directors and employees of the Company or the Commission;
(c) specified employees of such key contractors and sub-contractors to
the Company as may be specified from time to time by the Commission;
(d) personal partners and persons who are, to some extent, maintained
by one of any of the persons referred to in Rules 4 F(1)(b) and (c)
above, if living in the same household as any such person; and
(e) such other persons or category of persons as the Company and the
Commission may agree from time to time.

While that is specific to draw based games played offline, there are
identical terms for them played online, and for online interactive
games.

I can't find the T&C for scratchcard games online, but given the terms
are there for all the different types that are shown, I would be very
surprised if they don't also contain an identical term.

What if, when someone buys a ticket, he swaps tickets which he thinks are
high chance of winning for tickets which he thinks are low chance of
winning?  (Keeping the high chance for himself)

Even if buying tickets were legal for the agents, that would almost
certainly be regarded as fraud.

Again, I don't see how. Camelot know exactly how much they are going
to pay out on a particular run of cards, so they're not losing
anything.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that Camelot would be losing out.

But other customers would, and he would be gaining at their expense.

Regardless of whether they know about it or not, that is fraud.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You can't make a program without broken egos.

  • Re: lottery tickets and shop workers
    ... has cracked one of the scratch card lotto card systems sold in the ... Is Bob committing any offence if he buys tickets? ... thinks are high chance of winning for tickets which he thinks are ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: lottery tickets and shop workers
    ... has cracked one of the scratch card lotto card systems sold in the ... Is Bob committing any offence if he buys tickets? ... thinks are high chance of winning for tickets which he thinks are ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] BART Card Advisory
    ... Subject: BART Card Advisory ... All BART blue high-value tickets magstripe encoded ... type of vulnerability does not extend to the new BART EZ Rider ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Quick question on accommodations in France
    ... Trenitalia and LeNord made a fuss about Itinero card, ... underground and train stations with card-operated barriers, ... Traditionally underground stations ... ATM tickets. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • scratch off card - 24/7
    ... cratch off card sratch off card scatch off card scrtch off card ... scrach off card scrath off card scratc off card scratch ff card ... scratch off cad scratch off car sscratch off card sccratch off card ... card scratchh off card scratch ooff card scratch offf card scratch ...
    (comp.lang.python)