Brimstone wrote:
"Monty" <twoelephants@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4cbb3886$0$6276$6e1ede2f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 17/10/2010 18:26, Brimstone wrote:

"Rasta Pickles" <rasta.pickles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:b1c42b97-0e98-4b2f-a69b-2bb37883b160@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Oct 17, 6:12 pm, "Brimstone" <brimstone520-n...@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I did, on a bicycle when in my early teens (early-mid sixties).

Let me guess.......you used something called "common sense" when
you were traversing your route? If something looked a bit risky,
you used your "brain" to keep yourself safe?

And a now little known device called a "map".

I don't recall drivers reading maps down when driving down Regent
Street in pre-satnav days.

Nope, they read them before.

Truly the art of dumbing down is succeeding.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear about changes in the driving test from my
neice at the weekend. (She's recently failed her test and was lamenting
that by the time she takes it again, she'll have extra tasks on which she'll
be tested.)

It is calleld something like "independent driving", IIRC. The driver is
shown a map and a destination, and they have to navigate there using their
recollection of the map and roadsigns.

An excellent idea, and long overdue I reckon.

That's fine if you are familiar with the area. However, there are parts of the country where people actually live considerable distances away, and rarely - if ever - have been to the town where the 'local' test centre is.
--
Ian

  • Re: London bus lanes
    ... If something looked a bit risky, ... your "brain" to keep yourself safe? ... I couldn't see any signs that it was a bus lane until I was in it. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: London bus lanes
    ... If something looked a bit risky, ... your "brain" to keep yourself safe? ... I don't recall drivers reading maps down when driving down Regent Street in pre-satnav days. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: London bus lanes
    ... were traversing your route? ... If something looked a bit risky, ... your "brain" to keep yourself safe? ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: London bus lanes
    ... If something looked a bit risky, ... your "brain" to keep yourself safe? ... Street in pre-satnav days. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Mapping the Connectome
    ... New Research Seeks to Map Billions of Neural Links That Make the Mind ... researchers have probed the brain with imaging techniques ... invented two techniques to better reveal the brain's connections. ...
    (uk.philosophy.humanism)