Re: Judge's fury at 'insolent' defendant

"Nigel Oldfield" <wmcriticalestoppel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:b56ab8d3-3a21-484e-9f61-13629d8be58c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Judge's fury at 'insolent' defendant

Judges expect to be treated with the utmost respect in British courts,
but for one the insolence of defendants has finally proved too much.

By Nick Collins
Published: 12:19PM BST 04 Aug 2010
Judge's fury at 'insolent' hoodie
Junior Tranter Photo: GNS

Recorder Alun Jenkins QC warned barristers that any young defendants
who fail to address him properly may be locked away immediately with
their cases suspended.

The judge's comments came after he vented his frustration at a 24-year-
old car thief who had pushed him to breaking point by repeatedly
answering "yep" when questioned at Gloucester Crown Court.

Junior Tranter, who wore tracksuit bottoms and a jumper, had appeared
for sentencing after violating the terms of a suspended jail and
unpaid work order, which was imposed for taking his stepfather's car
and driving it dangerously.

But he infuriated the judge with his surly responses after he was
given a final chance to turn his life around and avoid prison despite
having breached the order.

Recorder Jenkins said: "No messing about ... you will do it or you
will go to prison. Got it?", to which Tranter simply answered "Yep".

The judge replied: "'Yes' is the word, not 'Yep'. You are speaking to
the court. Do you understand?"

This time, the young defendant responded "Yes" very clearly.

The judge continued: "I will add 14 hours to your unpaid work order to
mark this breach ... You come back to me for another breach and you
will be joining all the other people inside. Do you follow?"

Tranter replied with what sounded like another "Yep". Recorder Jenkins
said: "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that." Tranter replied: "Yes – thank
you very much."

The following morning, the judge warned barristers in court that a
lack of respect would no longer be tolerated.

He said: "What I observed yesterday was a defendant who appeared to me
to be insolent.

"Dumb insolence is a wonderful military offence that allows you to put
them on a charge without them uttering a word. I haven't got such a
power in this court but there is clearly a lack of respect going on
which needs to be addressed."

Recorder Jenkins, an experienced barrister who has been sitting as a
part-time judge since 1993, continued: "Defendants will call me 'Sir'
or 'Your Honour'. I don't mind which because I don't stand on
ceremony.

"But they will show respect. I would like you to pass that down to all
advocates and defendants.

"Any lack of respect will result in the case being put back with the
defendant put in custody to consider his position."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7926059/Judges-fury-at-insolent-defendant.html

Some of us believe one has to earn respect..

An individual has to earn respect. An institution is entitled to it. In this instance the judge is a representative of the institution and is therefore entitled to respect.

  • Re: Judges fury at insolent defendant
    ... but for one the insolence of defendants has finally proved too much. ... Judge's fury at 'insolent' hoodie ... answering "yep" when questioned at Gloucester Crown Court. ... The judge replied: "'Yes' is the word, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Judges fury at insolent defendant
    ... Recorder Alun Jenkins QC warned barristers that any young defendants ... The judge replied: "'Yes' is the word, ... to the court. ... "Dumb insolence is a wonderful military offence that allows you to ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Judges fury at insolent defendant
    ... but for one the insolence of defendants has finally proved too much. ... answering "yep" when questioned at Gloucester Crown Court. ... The judge replied: "'Yes' is the word, ... "Dumb insolence is a wonderful military offence that allows you to put ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Richmond gang-rape defendants plead not guilty
    ... Defense attorneys entered the pleas during an eight-minute hearing at Contra Costa County Superior Court in Richmond. ... The defendants, who stood in an enclosed holding area for inmates, each said "yes" when Judge Clare Maier asked if they understood their rights. ... Prosecutor Dara Cashman said she expects to bring evidence against all six defendants at a single preliminary hearing. ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Judges fury at insolent defendant
    ... answering "yep" when questioned at Gloucester Crown Court. ... The judge replied: "'Yes' is the word, ... the young defendant responded "Yes" very clearly. ... "Dumb insolence is a wonderful military offence that allows you to put ...
    (uk.legal)