Responsibility for bond - landlord or tenant
- From: Stephen <ste1980@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 03:10:22 -0700 (PDT)
About 18 months ago I moved into an apartment and gave the letting a
£1500 deposit. I then paid £1000 regularly into the letting agents
account. The letting agent didn't register the bond with the dps, and
so I started e-mailing the letting agent to ask why.
Eventually it emerged that the letting agent had ran off with a lot of
people's deposits and the rent money that had been paid. He has now
been charged by the police, but it is extremely unlikely that the
money will be recovered.
When the Police got involved they said it was my bond that they were
trying to recover, and the landlords rent.
One of my friends who has a degree in law said the landlord is
responsible for my deposit and should repay it to me.
The landlord said that as I signed a contract with the letting agent,
the deposit is my responsibility and that he doesn't have to pay it
So my question is: who is responsible for the deposit, and does the
landlord have to pay it back to me when I move out?
Can anyone help with this?
- Prev by Date: Re: Not A Shared Drive
- Next by Date: Re: Innocent mistake in booking flight with Ryan air
- Previous by thread: Parked car
- Next by thread: Re: Responsibility for bond - landlord or tenant