Re: Police interview under caution - Reported for harassment

"PeteM" <Otcbn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Simon Earl <simon@xxxxxxxxxx> posted
When being interviewed under caution at a police station, does
the suspect have a legal right to record the interview using
his/her own equipment (ie: say a dictaphone)?

Probably no, but he has two other options.

AIUI he has the right to request that a solicitor is present and that a
copy of the police's recording of the interview is given to the
solicitor.

The accused must be given a copy of the police recording - the accused must
also be given the choice of which of the 2 tapes he takes. There is nothing
to stop him making a copy for his solicitor.

Second, he has the right to say nothing unless the police agree to the
dictaphone. If in court the prosecution draws attention to his silence,

They cannot do this. He has a right to remain silent - period - and the
police caution specifically states this. The prosecution cannot infer guilt
from this silence. What they can do is attempt to prevent him from
enetering a defence that he didn't tell the police about at the time of his
interview.

he can explain it by saying he withdrew cooperation at interview because
the police refused to allow him a perfectly reasonable request. If I
were a juror hearing this explanation, I would instantly decide to
acquit the defendant unless other evidence was overwhelming.

--
PeteM

  • Re: Ferrograph History
    ... So a system which has a greater number of variabilities in the recording process (variations in mains frequency and bias frequency, and "footprint" left by the individual tape heads) is harder to challenge than one which only includes variations in mains frequency, if there are more parameters that match between the defence and prosecution copy of the tape. ... The only time I've been interviewed by the police - as a WITNESS to a smash-and-grab robbery: I helped catch the thief as he tried to cycle away - I was amazed by how laborious the process of taking a statement was. ... It would have been so much easier and quicker if they'd recorded the interview on tape. ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: Why do police criminal interviews/confessions always have such shitty audio?
    ... I'm sure someone would notice the Sonex on the walls and Schoeps hanging from the ceiling and conclude they might be recording what they say :-) ... The tape machine is a dual cassette recorder, with one tape for the police & one for the interviewee, which is handed to him/ her in a sealed bag immediately after the interview, so that their lawyer can compare their copy with the police transcripts & evidence given in court. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Why the recent police scandals are actually great news for Britain.
    ... I have nothing against the police, ... I asked what was so terrible about the police recording an interview. ... someone who happens to be a lawyer, would you worry if the police were ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: Wiggy wants sex with kids
    ... At the police interview however, ... evidence that the suspect does not know they have, ... question before the suspect has time to think of a good answer, ... If the suspect is giving a no comment interview, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Should I inform the head teacher - prevention of alleged sexual assult
    ... After all this I keep getting my vehicle vandalised by friends of the ... kind of paedofile should be telling ther kids to keep away from me and ... weeks after the alleged event, he has also made a staement to the police ... my interview, They said we have special people who interview children in ...
    (uk.legal)