Audio line-in Q - old iMac and new iMac

Hi all,

I have a Technica headset with a swinging mic and a twin output, pink
and green (you can tell how much I know about this stuff ...) Also a
volume and on/off switch for the mic.

I cannot get the mic to work when I plug it into the line in plug at the
back of my old iMac from Xmas 2008:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Then I found this discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=792512

I hope to get a new iMac shortly when the new model comes out but in the
mean time I wondered if there is anyone in the know who can confirm
where I stand.

Is it correct that I am using a bog standard headset and my old iMac
needs a preamp ?

Do current iMacs and probably the new one still have that requirement ?

Is a USB headset/mic an alternative ?

My needs are basically skype and other online voice comms.

Many thanks !

Howard

  • Re: Audio line-in Q - old iMac and new iMac
    ... I have a Technica headset with a swinging mic and a twin output, ... Pink is mic, green is ear. ... Model Name: iMac ... I use a £30 Logitech USB ears/mic headset with USB plug; it works ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Again, thanks!
    ... it's connecting to your single iMac. ... A router will accomplish both these tasks. ... plug will plug into your DSL box, ... you need something called a *wireless* router. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.portables)
  • Re: Oblivion at CES -- looking hotter than before
    ... >want to remove my speakers to plug the headset in. ... >telecom/voip/messenger compatible set that I cant yet plug in. ... Not as elegant as a front panel, but cheap and zero real work. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: Using Both Speakers and a Headset
    ... > I recently purchased a Boom mic/headset for web chat. ... > sound card. ... If the microphone and headset each have separate connectors to the computer, ... What you will need is a "splitter"--1 plug into computer, ...
  • Re: [opensuse] headset and loudspeakers at the same time
    ... I have loudspeakers plugged into the rear of my Desktop computer. ... plug my headset mic and speakers into these rear outputs everything works ... then plug in the headset. ... Are you sure the front panel connectors are actually connected inside have ...
    (SuSE)