Date & Time preferences won't stick

Having read recently that sitting on one's fat arse all day is the worst
thing you can do in terms of mortality, I tried to set my Date & Time
preferences to announce the time on the hour.

But the preference never sticks. Every time I set it, I go back in to
find it's not set.

I've tried deleting /etc/localtime as per one article on Apple
discussions, but no joy.
I've also tried deleting com.apple.iCal.helper.plist in my
~/library/preferences, since that seemed to be the last thing modified
when I tried setting the announcement.

Any other suggestions? (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)

--
Pd

  • Re: Go > Network stopped working
    ... plist file. ... I actually think the only preferences I really care about are those ... anything suspect or deleting to see what happens to your symptom. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: envelopes
    ... The return address is that shown in tools> options> user information. ... Deleting the address here should work, but if this is Word 2003, it seems ... the preferences in an autonew macro so they are reapplied each time a new ... Liz wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: IE locks 100% memory
    ... I started to have this problem after I installed the latest OS X upgrade. ... cleared the problem up by deleting the preferences out of ... Only way to get out is to continually use alt control del & end ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.explorer)
  • Re: [opensuse] Firefox Mail-To
    ... If I recall, the solution is in the last post on the above link. ... Have you tried deleting mimeTypes.rdf, closing FF, restarting it, then going to preferences -> applications -> and resetting the mailto link. ... I needed to change from the default set set the explicit path to get it to work. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Date & Time preferences wont stick
    ... Woody wrote: ... thing you can do in terms of mortality, I tried to set my Date & Time ... preferences to announce the time on the hour. ... in a particularly threatening way, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)