Re: iPod as an option...

Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@xxxxxx> wrote:

Looks like my AP Express has died, it powers on, give a green light,
then the amber light, then nothing, dead. It doesn't show up in Airport
Utility, even if plugged in directly with ethernet.

I don't actually need the WiFi part of the Express box, I just need to
stream audio to the HiFi from my MacBook.

Hang on a bit - from what you're saying, the gadget in question can
accept music feeding via Ethernet, and shove it out to the amp? Like,
giving you audio without being forced to use wireless networking?

Have I got that right?

As far as I know, no, I think it only connects wirelessly using
Aittunes. At least I haven't been able to make it work otherwise.

There is an option to use the Aiport Express as an extension to the
network, but in my configuration it just seems to cause a complete
freeze up of the network, so I have to create a separate wireless
network (which was used solely for Airtunes).

Are there any reasonably priced alternatives? A quick look on eBay has
only found full multi-media boxes, but I don't really need the video
either.

The AP Express seems to be the only economical option on this,
everything else is just bleeding expensive, and has features I don't
need.

Anyway, it got me thinking, I only need to feed my HiFi with music, so
have had the idea of getting an iPod instead, and connecting a dock to
my amp.

Any caveats with that compared to using my MacBook and Airtunes?

Can't you just use a normal audio lead?

It's what we do when we drive the amp from an iPod.

Yeah, that's what I was asking, is there any difference (sound quality
wise) between:

A) connecting a MacBook to my HiFi using Airport Express (which connects
to the Hifi with a standard audio lead).

or

B) connection an iPod to the HiFi directly using the same audio lead.

Basically what I want to know is, is the iPods' audio output as good as
the one from the Airport Express?

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>