Re: iTunes 8.2.1 now out

Richard Tobin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <0001HW.C690D3B702D95B0DF0488648@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Stimpy <stimpy1997uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You need a tuple of (vendor ID,product ID) to uniquely identify a USB
device don't you? That's all Apple's doing. Palm's making their device
use IDs that don't belong to them.

Isn't it akin my me using an IP address that's been assigned to someone else?

No. It's not intended to deceive anyone - Palm aren't pretending
that their phone *is* an iPod.

They are, though.

It's an abuse of the ID by Apple to
prevent other manufacturers from making interoperable devices.

Is this in the USB spec? It doesn't sound like something that would be;
in fact, I'd expect the opposite.

What I'm wondering is this. If Apple are not allowed to use the vendor /
device ID in order to determine what's at the other end of a cable, and
someone hooks up a device that doesn't behave in a way that iTunes
expects, then Something Will Go Wrong. And when that happens, whose
reputation will suffer? Will the consumer say "This crappy device
doesn't work properly" or "Bloody iTunes is a bag of crap"?

Because if there's more than a negligible chance of the latter, then I
think they are within their rights to check what device is at the other
end of the cable, in order to protect their reputation.

It does have the whiff of anti-competitiveness about it though, I must
admit. I wonder whether raising that spectre is Palm's real intention
here.

-zoara-

--
"And the tiny universe compiles."
http://powazek.com/posts/1655

  • Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs?
    ... Objet: Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs? ... There are a few IPS/IDS solutions out there utilizing email reputation ... reputaion value associated with it and IDS should scan ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs?
    ... But i think the question was to use reputation to ... decide the degree of scanning the traffic by an IDS => IDS will scan ... prevalent behavior of many network managers in applying bias to their ... That alone should help to bubble up alerts in the console of the ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs?
    ... Incorporating reputation services into IDPs is an outstanding way to help provide the IDP with additional information that might help it to do a better job. ... For example, correlating the Spamhaus PBL with IDS alerts would be outstanding information, because anyone on the PBL generating a alert is likely to be bot-infected or intentionally malicious. ... In a more complex case, the presence of an IP on a reputation service could also affect the behavior of an IDP when it comes to actually dropping or resetting connections. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs?
    ... Al lot of email gateways have ... a similar funktion (Sender base reputation filtering). ... I have been working in email reputation system that has computed ... Test Your IDS ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: When theres no underbrush, the tree looks taller.
    ... I forgot to check which newsgroup I was in before ... posting. ... It didn't belong here. ... And here's me expecting a post about how an author's reputation is affected by the number and quality of his contemporaries. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)