Re: Biggest MBP surprise: SD card slots!

Chris Ridd <chrisridd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2009-06-15 18:15:32 +0100, %steve%@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Firth) said:

Chris Ridd <chrisridd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

They use the same chipset too. It shouldn't slow down any internal hard
disk though, should it? Just SSDs.

Yep, just the devices that are probably going to be extremely
significant for notebooks for the next couple of years.

Sure, but I wonder what proportion of users will upgrade to an SSD over
that time? Apple may be betting that most will only upgrade to a bigger
hard disk.

Over time a bigger hard disk can also be a Solid State Disk:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/500GB-SSD-CeBIT,7197.html

--

marco

  • Re: HDD vs removable media ?
    ... In a Hard disk,The data platters are completely sealed so that no ... removable media isn't it. ... SSDs (Solid State ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Crazy constant disk I/O when swap is disabled
    ... It's got 1 gig of RAM and two SSDs. ... no swap file/partition because I don't want my SSDs to die again. ... megs in disk cache -- only about half of RAM was actually used). ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Advice on system purchase
    ... be highly beneficial for just about any workload that is using random I/O. ... when you work on a spreadsheet, you are not creating a lot of disk I/O. ... When you compress or uncompress a tar archive, you are CPU limited. ... see how you prefer SSDs. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: HD replacement
    ... But I would like a painless replacement of the ... The HD has originally XP Pro OEM installed from MS disk when I build the ... If you are thinking of the OCZ Core SSDs that are getting cheaper, ... most manufacturers use a single platter of their current range density for ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: PostgreSQL+ZFS
    ... xlog storage or use zfs as disk buffer cache. ... Is your problem with RAID5 or the SSDs? ... RAID 5 on SSDs is sort of odd though. ...
    (Debian-User)