Re: e-book readers again

On 2009-05-25 11:01:07 +0100, Ian Piper <ianpiper@xxxxxxx> said:

I've lamented in earlier threads what I think is the lack of a killer product from Apple in the e-book reader market. It turns out I'm not alone though... Andy Ihnatko in the latest MacWorld says "If Apple sold this device at anywhere near the cost of a Kindle or Sony Reader (under £250) they’d choloroform [sic] the ebook hardware market while it’s still learning to walk". And the normally reliable rumour-merchant digitimes has an article on it: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090522PB200.html. I hope they will finally announce something at WWDC. Having just spent a couple of weeks lugging two or three 500-page books plus a MacBook Pro back and forth on the train to client sites, I can't wait. Well, as long as it is better than the Sony or Kindle, that is.

The problem is still that statistically Americans don't read, and Apple is an American company. Also the display hardware's still not quite there - all the current ebook readers I've played with have had ponderous displays. Possibly bearable by some, but not by the general public.

I'd be very happy for Apple to prove me wrong, and also to sort the ebook publishers out - one file format thank you, and enough with the stupid prices.

My money is on a 800 x 600 touchscreen form factor, with a bluetooth mini keyboard for optional text entry. Price? For something like that I'd pay up to £500.

You forgot the pony!
--
Chris

  • Re: [OT] New Sony Reader details availble
    ... reader for the iPhone. ... Maybe Apple will notice and we will see a larger form factor device more ... even if it is clearly a much larger market. ... a lot of people read books, it is a smaller market that want to replace ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Ed Fosters latest "gripeline"...
    ... The Reader Advocate Column ... But Apple is hardly the first company to act as if it can do whatever it wishes with its products after we buy them. ... It's an open question how much vendors hurt themselves when they so publicly put their own greed in front of the interests of the paying customer. ... Answer my GripeLog poll on that question and tell us why you feel that way by posting your comments online or by writing me ...
    (sci.research.careers)
  • Re: USB Stick support of IIgs?
    ... Why buy a card reader and a card that I might not be able to share data with other people, because they don't have a reader for that type of media, rather than just using USB stick seeing as pretty much everyone has USB ports built into their computers? ... Because what's needed to get USB on the Apple II will be expensive. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)