Re: Parallels & Bootcamp; most efficient way to install Windows on new machine?

In article <1i1d323.1o13di16ltjywN%pd.news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
pd.news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (PeterD) wrote:

<http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;981429270;fp;;fpid;;pf;1>

I know I shouldn't get involved because I have no idea at all about
anything much, ...

Join the club, I don't know either, all I am doing is injecting my
present beliefs, flawed though they might be, into this thread.

Right now, the other posters are 'operating' on my present beliefs,
straightening out any bent beliefs.

Darn nice of them, I would say.

They keep telling me to RTFM, but lotsa stuff is poorly explained there,
which they obviously do not realize.

but that article is all about virtual (logical) disk volumes.
Nothing at all about virtual machines, which
is what I understand Parallels to be.

<http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;981429270;fp;;fpid;;pf;1>

When I hear the phrase "virtual (logical) disk volumes", I think it just
refers to a file on disk standing for an entire (real) disk partition.

What the Parallels users manual calls a VM file. (Virtual Machine)

When I hear the phrase "virtual machines", I am more inclined to think
that is is just a convenient shorthand term meaning:

"A file standing for an entire real computer"

I know this does not help you much, perhaps someone else will offer a
better explanation.

Technical terminology is VERY difficult to comprehend, because people
often have differing ideas about what terms mean.

Case in point. Somehow I went off on a tangent and got the idea in my
head that somehow several _different_ computers could share their puny
ram, such that 1,000 Macs with 2GB of ram apiece could act exactly like
one big computer that had 2,000 GBs of ram.

I was confused by technical terminology when Googling about big banks of
many servers, and somehow got the wrong impression about "Virtual RAM".

Apparently overall physical ram can not be increased that way, namely by
combining the ram of several computers somehow.

Mark-

  • Re: OT/drift: when is a RAMdisk an appropriate solution
    ... include the "ram disk" component in your project. ... Sometimes, a physical RAM ... only to wind up going directly to regular old ordinary memory, ... testing the file system software. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: teaching a child - console or GUI
    ... >> possible to set up some pretty fancy 'accelerators' ... disk under a file name that is ... ... or are they really a bunch of pointers ... You mean that you had to be convinced of the 'CD in RAM' approach? ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Future Linux on Bistable Storage
    ... One major difference between disk and RAM is the tradeoffs between size, ... resume the system -- except perhaps for I/O initialisation. ... Writing all of RAM to disk burns more power than powering RAM for several ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Hard disk speed - Maybe OT
    ... This will of course all be disk cache. ... The current capture uses ... I dont think RAM will help all that much. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)