Re: the su command

Pinnerite <pinnerite-without-these-words@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Justin C wrote:
Pinnerite <pinnerite-without-these-words@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I would really have liked to do was to go from an $ level
directory to # but be in the same directory, thus obviating the need
to go via # konqueror. Is there an easy command to do this. If
there is it ought to be part of the man page.

Don't do "su -", just do "su". At least, here on Debian, "su" makes me
super-user in the current directory. If I cd /some/where/else and then
exit I'm back where I was before I invoked su.

I am using su in the O/S mentioned below. Here su on its own takes me to the
root directory, hence my whinge. It's not a big deal except that at least
once a year I read how wonderfully flexible Linux is and how there are
always multiple ways to do things, until I want to do them it seems.

su is supposed to stay in the same directory if not given - or -l; if it
doesn't then you have a broken version (or have inadvisedly aliased it
or something).

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

  • Re: the su command
    ... # but be in the same directory, thus obviating the need to go via ... Is there an easy command to do this. ... PCLinuxOS release 2011 for x86_64 ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: the su command
    ... # but be in the same directory, thus obviating the need to go via ... Is there an easy command to do this. ... look in .bashrc for an alias for su. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: the su command