skype error

I have installed skype 2.2.0.35-fc10 on my fedora 15 (x86_64) laptop.
Err 32 bit version of skype.

If I run it as root (ugh) everything works fine.

If I run it as my normal login I get the following error message:-
skype: /opt/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by skype)

My thought is that if an so was missing then using root would not make it work any better.

So do I need to find the 32 bit version of GLIBCXX_3.4.9 and install it?

What is the downside of running the skype software using root.

Since it is a peer to peer form of communication. Can I disable skypes net access if I want to? Is it difficult?

I'd rather phone my mates....

Thanks for your advice. Andy

.