skype error

I have installed skype 2.2.0.35-fc10 on my fedora 15 (x86_64) laptop.
Err 32 bit version of skype.

If I run it as root (ugh) everything works fine.

If I run it as my normal login I get the following error message:-
skype: /opt/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/lib/lin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by skype)

My thought is that if an so was missing then using root would not make it work any better.

So do I need to find the 32 bit version of GLIBCXX_3.4.9 and install it?

What is the downside of running the skype software using root.

Since it is a peer to peer form of communication. Can I disable skypes net access if I want to? Is it difficult?

I'd rather phone my mates....

Thanks for your advice. Andy

  • Re: skype permissions
    ... I changed to root before I installed skype. ... I also checked that the umask was 22) with: ... will-try# mkdir subdir ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: skype error
    ... Err 32 bit version of skype. ... My thought is that if an so was missing then using root would not make it work any better. ... That's a missing *version* of a single symbol ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: skype permissions
    ... I know that that is a permissions thing, ... Skype should work as a normal user and shouldn't require any permission changes. ... The only way that I can start Skype is via the command line as root. ... that had PC-BSD installed the program would play alright, but if you closed down the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: skype permissions
    ... I know that that is a permissions thing, ... Skype should work as a normal ... FreeBSD bsd.remdog.net 7.1-RELEASE FreeBSD ... The only way that I can start Skype is via the command line as root. ...