Re: Server distro recommendations

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:01:59 GMT, Nick Challoner wrote:

I was wondering what distro people would recommend for server
installations? I'm looking to upgrade a server farm at work from an
ancient version of Turbo Linux.

Take a look at SME Server http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page. It might be
to big a leap with it's web interface and templating system but it is
stable, secure and being actively developed/supported. I think it'll has
all the things you mention supplied.

Therefore what I'm really after is a lightweight server distro that
comes with compilers and the basic stuff such as passwd, vi etc, on
which I can compile my own Perl, Apache, MySQL etc etc. Any
recommendations please?

SME Server being designed to be an "out of the box" server doesn't have
the normal development tools included for security reasons. They can be
added to a system though for devleopment work.

--
Cheers new5pam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

  • Re: I64 layered products
    ... Then you can download the compilers from HP. ... On a separate note, however, the installation using the Infoserver ... server on an Alpha to the I64 was totally painless. ... the server will silently ignore the boot requests from ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Borland to Release .NET-native DB Server
    ... > Very imporant for a DB server. ... optimizations that happen in classical compilers... ... compilers usually support, even widespread performance-enhancing ... features like SIMD or memory prefetching. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: some new freeware and freeware updates for VMS
    ... >The following packages have recently been placed on my server. ... Mark, could you include objects for those of us who don't have compilers for ... both architectures? ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Operator Creation in Fortran 90/95
    ... Many compilers do not recognize .f95 ... extension, so I removed that copy of this example from the server. ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)