Re: TV tuners and Linux in UK

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:36:12 +0000 (UTC), David Haggett
<news-spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:52:31 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:

You only need a TV license if you are going to actually use it to pick
up TV, do not believe those who say you need one even for tellies stored
in lofts, you don't.

Hmm. I think you might have some difficulty convincing "the authorities"
that you've bought some equipment that is specifically and solely for
receiving TV signals for any purpose other than receiving TV signals.

Plasma screen, yes, but TV card?

For connecting to a dvd or vcr or video camera.

There is also no requirement in law for you to give your own address
to the retailer. The law requires them to obtain an address from
anyone to who they sell or hire equipment capable of receiving
television signals. It doesn't require the buyer to give a real
address. Just give any old address with a valid postcode.
Here's one

T .Blair
Redhills
Durham
DH1 4BD

  • Re: TV tuners and Linux in UK
    ... in lofts, you don't. ... Hmm. ... receiving TV signals for any purpose other than receiving TV signals. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Open WiFi connections: Are you really stealing?
    ... Now I realize that in some very limited (Winnebago county WI) jurisdictions that it is not legal. ... I'm fairly confident that higher courts will rule against this law unless the user is doing something else illegal or is being a hog. ... OJ reputedly was using an illegal device to be able to receive the sat signals. ... Man fined $250 in first area case of Internet piracy ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: GPS underwater
    ... >> over a GPS antenna completely stops it from receiving anything. ... My GPS receivers also have no problem getting signals inside my house ...
    (sci.geo.satellite-nav)
  • RE: WIRELESS THEFT
    ... But we already know the music concert is a bad example as stated below. ... Subject: WIRELESS THEFT ... Under current law the potential for money to be ... > of those signals as Unauthorized Access (nevermind that there may well ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: WIRELESS THEFT
    ... > One of the apartment complexes near mine has free wireless connections ... evolution has far outpaced the law. ... of those signals as Unauthorized Access (nevermind that there may well be ...
    (Security-Basics)