Re: Mobile-phone under Linux

On 22 Maj, 12:46, "Gerry \(The MOTH\)" <Gerry (TheMOTH)> wrote:
"Phil" <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

The87Boy <the87...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I don't know, if this is the right category, but I hope so

I'm searching for a cheap mobile-phone, that works under Linux
The only thing it should support is sending and receiving SMS, but can
anybody tell me, which mobile phone I should buy?

I can't really answer which phone to buy, many will work. It depends on
whether
you are talking about PAYG or contract, and what your chosen operator has
the
best deals on and what else you want it to do. My mobile is my PDA and
iPod.

The best advice I can give is get a bluetooth dongle for your PC, this
will be
more future proof than a cable and will work with next years phone and the
year
after that.

I have only ever owned a Nokia, so am slightly biased, but I would say to
get a
nokia. They certainly have a more intuitive menu structure and I know they
work.

As for software you will need to install both bluez and gnokii, both
should
come as part of your linux distro. Both have mailing lists, so I would you
join
those. Gnokii was originally a linux programme for driving nokia phones,
but I
believe others are supported now.

HTH Phil

Depends what you want to do with your phone connected to the PC?

I can bluetooth files between my Nokia N73 and Ubuntu system, but can't get
it to sync my contacts and calendar or use as a modem. Still need to switch
to my WinXP system to use the supplied Nokia Software.

I only want's to send and recieve sms-messages

  • For Sale New Nokia N95 8gb
    ... Full Nokia N95 8gb Technical specifications ... Up to 160 MB* internal dynamic memory for messages, ringing tones, ... images, video clips, calendar notes, to-do list and applications ... advanced contacts database with support for multiple phone ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Insider set to become Nokia chief
    ... Insider set to become Nokia chief ... LONDON Nokia, the largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world, on Monday ... Kallasvuo, 52, is head of Nokia's biggest group, the mobile phone business. ...
    (soc.culture.malaysia)
  • Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
    ... Rather than give Nokia broad complaints about os support, ... Telephone developers!= standards on the PC interface side. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Retrieving "deleted" sms/mms from Nokia phone (Symbian S60)
    ... hint into mobile phone forensics and anti-forensics field. ... my Nokia N-gage and on a Nokia 6600 but I am quiete sure ... Download the Nokia PC Suite for your mobile phone and make ... This is part of an sms I deleted and that I don't see on my phone. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-disclosure] Retrieving "deleted" sms/mms from Nokia phone (Symbian S60)
    ... hint into mobile phone forensics and anti-forensics field. ... my Nokia N-gage and on a Nokia 6600 but I am quiete sure ... Download the Nokia PC Suite for your mobile phone and make ... This is part of an sms I deleted and that I don't see on my phone. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)