Re: Upgrading to AMD 64

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 22:58:58 +0000, Geoff wrote:

> I don't keep up with developments in hardware as well as I used to.
>
> I am thinking of building a new box to replace my current PIII smp unit. I
> run slackware 9.1 (nicely sorted, so I don't really want to do a distro
> upgrade at present), but have always used current vanilla kernels and
> compiled almost all of my applications (and by now a lot of system
> libraries too), locally.

I recently upgraded to an AMD 64 and had no trouble with any of the 32bit
distros I have on the machine, which include the Mandrake 10.1 I'm writing
this from, Slackware 9.1, Suse 8.2, Suse 9.1 Mandrake 10.1, and a PCLOS
early version, the number of which I am not sure. All have remained as
stable as before. I've since removed the Suse 8.2, and Mandrake 10.0,
as they are past EOL for support, and replaced them with Suse 9.3, Suse
10.0, and Mandriva 2006, all in the x86_64 versions. All work well.

You should have no major problems. I haven't even changed the kernels from
the 32bit versions, and the only changes made were to the driver modules
needed for the onboard hardware, 10 - 20 minutes fiddling for each distro,
for configuration changes, and installing Nvidia drivers for a new video
card.

> Am I going to run into major problems with my existing applications /
> libs if I go the AMD 64 route for the new box? In other words, am I
> going to break things if I simply compile a kernel with AMD 64 support
> and carry on regardless?

No, and no. Go for it. It makes a sweet running machine. ;-)

--
imotgm
"Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

.