Encryption on wifi adapters

I've been having trouble with my old router which used WEP, so have invested in a Netgear N150 from ebay. It appears to be working fine, so I thought I would set it to the Mixed Mode WPA + WPA2 for wifi..

I have a network (workgroup) of a few cabled machines running various legacy MS OS's, but also have 6 laptops running XP, Vista and Win7 to enable software testing. These all connect wirelessly.

There is a complication in that I am now also fighting CentOS, but the following is with that machine switched off and so its effect is no longer a problem.

I am confused by the laptops' settings. If I have them set to WPA2, I am offered the choice of TKIP or AES encryption. It appears that if I set some to TKIP and some to AES, they don't see each other over the network, so I have set them all to AES. It has taken a lot of time to discover this.

The question is, what happens when I connect an older laptop that is pre-WPA2. Should I set them all back to match TKIP or will the Netgear cope with one encryption on WPA and another on WPA2?

I wish I knew why I always find things so difficult!

--
Bill

  • Re: Tiscali
    ... so his daughters can use their laptops on the internet. ... internet access. ... ADSL modem/router/WAP is the way to go. ... Tell him to go and buy a Netgear DG834G ...
    (uk.telecom.broadband)
  • Re: airport to other wireless network?
    ... the Airport 128-bit hex and was able to connect to the netgear, ... WPA-PSK [AES]. ... shared between all users of the network. ... visitors who want to use your network that might not have WPA2 ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: [opensuse] Linux friendly 802.11n Wireless Access Point
    ... We have been using a Netgear WG602 for a couple of years now. ... very well with our own openSUSE 10.2 laptops as well my wifes corporate ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ... For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OT: Paging wireless geeks
    ... >>known brands (Netgear, D-Link, Linksys) ... > So, as I have a Netgear wireless network at the moment, if I were to buy ... laptops won't play anymore. ... Another client had a Linksys router and I installed a Netgear Ethernet/Wifi ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Why WEP is, er, crep.
    ... I still cannot get my SanDisk WiFi+256MB card ... PSK with TKIP (for ye Netgear says it only supports TKIP). ... wireless network. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)