OT: HP wifi and BIOS locks

I've got an HP Mini with an Atheros AR9285 wifi/bluetooth adapter..
Shutting down the wifi locks up the whole system in Windows XP (the
pre-installed OS) and Linux unless I use an old release like Debian
Squeeze.

HP lock their BIOSes so you can't replace the wifi adapter with a non-HP
model, but does anyone know whether all HP laptops are compatible with
all HP-(re)branded wifi adapters or am I stuck with the AR9285?

I know someone with a broken HP laptop and I want to know whether it's
worth trying to scavenge its wireless card. It's an Intel 3945. But they
don't live very near.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

  • Re: Turn WIFI ON after Soft-Reset
    ... I'd say try to do what the Adapter class does yourself: ... The WiFi adapter is integrated in the PDA Qtek 9090. ... in case of the user Turn the WiFi Power Off from the ... Which is the way PPC 2003 use to load the driver at startup? ...
  • Re: Vista and wireless interface Media unauthenticated
    ... I am currently testing wifi compatibility on Windows Vista. ... To connect our Wifi adapter to the network we use our own ... You can try and set it on your connection. ...
  • Re: Wifi key ?
    ... Ok thanks Paul. ... is it possible to add an ethernet - Wifi adapter? ... to get the correct driver. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: Wifi key ?
    ... In fact we can't redesign our hardware and we already give the possibility to get an USB key for our customer! ... The only way i can use is to find an other stick with windows CE driver. ... If not, forget USB and look for another method of connecting the WiFi to your hardware, SDIO might be possible, although the only SDIO adapter that I was aware of went away, too. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: Wifi key ?
    ... finding a USB/WiFi adapter for you wouldn't be our job). ... you could hire someone to write a driver for a USB ... is it possible to add an ethernet - Wifi adapter? ... embedded-targeted USB WiFi device and really support it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)