Re: Which of these 2 laptops..........
- From: Trevor Best <newsreply@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 14:14:06 +0100
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:47:37 GMT
7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A quick way is to let it boot a LiveCD like Knoppix or DSL and see how
much of it boots OK. This will reveal that the hardware are all
compatible with some of the open source applications that are out there
so that you can continue to use your PC in years to come when support
for drivers and pre-installed OS is withdrawn.
That's not a 100% guaranteed test. I just had Mandriva One fail to boot
on a PC. I know the disk is OK, it booted on another PC. The other PC
had an NVidia card whereas the one that it didn't quite boot on had a
The PC in question is OK, it's currently running Slackware 12 and has
previously ran LinuxMint, Ubuntu Feisty and Gutsy, Debian Etch and Slax
to name but a few.
You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
- Prev by Date: Re: Seek hardware firewall for home user
- Next by Date: Re: Reliable home built for linux
- Previous by thread: Re: Which of these 2 laptops..........
- Next by thread: Re: Which of these 2 laptops..........