Re: Where to get cheap XP Home?

JoeJoe wrote:
"ric" <publicmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1185875072.817160.79490@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jul 31, 9:55 am, "archierob" <archie...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
3) Is your pal's PC system hardware of adequate spec to run XP
Home?

4) Your pal should check that his/her , programs and peripherals
are all supported under XP - not likely to be an issue, but worth
checking.

------------------------------------
Good advice from previous poster. Do not assume that the comp will
run XP. In many cases the BIOS are just too old to cope. Visiting
the manufacturers site should give some info.

This has worked for me: change the bios to boot from the CD and try
to run Ubuntu 7.04 - some interesting messages may come up and it
has been my experience that if the BIOS can't cope with 7.04 then
they will not cope with XP.

bad advice from previous poster. BIOS won't support an operating
system? eh? I don't understand this reasoning.

It's all about drivers. Lack of manufacturer-supplied drivers
doesn't mean it won't work though. XP with SP2 slipstreamed in is
pretty darned good at getting most drivers right for common chipsets.
I'd put my lowest spec for usable XP at around a PIII 500 with >512MB
RAM. Anything above this will be ok for general use...

His machine is a P4 - not sure about RAM, etc, so that's why I thought
upgrading from win98 to XP would be a good idea.

I've heard of people running XP (Home) on an Asus board with an AMD K6 with
128MB PC100 RAM. Personally I've run XP on an ECS P6IWF mobo with a 5-600MHz
Celeron and 256MB PC133 RAM. The BIOS had problems with it at first, but
that was easily sorted. All drivers for everything, previously run in ME,
were easily available in XP.

  • 2.6.1-final: Dell Inspiron 8200 still not booting (since 2.6.0-test10)
    ... Note that the same configuration works very ... Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. ... Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 Adam Belay ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Linux 2.6.31 - very swap-happy with plenty of free RAM
    ... disk like crazy because that RAM was actively in use. ... The machine has 4gb of RAM, and runs 3 VMware VMs with a total ... # IPVS transport protocol load balancing support ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Harddisk size and P4PE
    ... Is there any limit to what BIOS or XP will handle on P4PE. ... SCSI emulation RAID drivers, ... for a drive, then the OS support, hardware support, and BIOS ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: u/g W2K to W3KE - W3KE recognizes half the RAM
    ... I look askance at all Sony products now, ... but would (after I cajoled a Compaq support guy into divulging a secret ... Little did I know that they had a subtle change in the BIOS on ... I assumed that they probably had RAM modules ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: u/g W2K to W3KE - W3KE recognizes half the RAM
    ... I look askance at all Sony products now, ... but would (after I cajoled a Compaq support guy into divulging a secret ... Little did I know that they had a subtle change in the BIOS on ... I assumed that they probably had RAM modules ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.hardware)