Re: computer fails to start on warm reboot

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:40:25 +0100, Mark Morreau
<mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have an odd problem with my computer. Started spontaneously, not a
>cause of any hardware change.
>When I reboot the computer (start, shut down, restart) the computer does
>not restart. It makes the right noises, but the monitor never shows an
>image (in fact the standby light never goes to green) and I never get a
>beep and it never boots up to OS. When I push the reset button it still

Okay, we still need to determine:

* Is the actual computer not rebooting, or
* Is the monitor simply staying in standby/off mode?

Can you try it with a different monitor?

If you don't have access to a spare monitor, can you make sure the
desktop start-up sound is turned on (eg. default Windows start-up
sound) and see if that ever plays after reboot?

>Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone? Anyone any idea why this
>is happening?

Presuming it is NOT just the monitor, I'd say it is probably
overheating, BIOS, PSU or motherboard. Firstly start with cleaning or
swapping out the CPU fan. Sometimes the CPU can happily boot from
cold, but upon a reboot it decides it is too hot and refuses, even
though it may have been previously happily running for hours at that
heat!

Next I'd upgrade the BIOS. If that doesn't work then try replacing the
PSU. A motherboard swap-out is always a huge pain so that's a last
resort. At a stretch of my imagination, dead or shorting lithium
battery on the motherboard, or duff/overheating memory?

If it comes down to it, unplug everything from the motherboard except
the CPU, PSU and one stick of RAM, then try boot/reboot. If that
fails, at least you've narrowed it down to motherboard, CPU, PSU or
RAM.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com
Gloucestershire, UK