Re: Lost XP product key - before install.

In article <slrndfvbhg.5q6.this.address.is.fake@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tony
Houghton says...
> In <MPG.1d69a34ddbb1d64d98a71a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Conor <conor.turton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > How about the Central Scotland Police Force which are on Linux and
> > StarOffice but are to move to Win2003/MS Office after a review in 2004?
> >
> > Ability to file reports from remote locatios and the cost of support
> > was one of the factors.
>
> Nothing about OSS should prevent remote filing of reports.
>
> > Quote:
> > The head of IT, David Stirling, noted that the review also identified
> > "disproportionate" support costs associated with the open source kit:
> > "An estimated 25 percent of additional staff time was routinely
> > required to install and maintain open source-based systems," he said.
>
> It's pretty obvious they were offered a huge discount by Microsoft in
> return for giving some bullshit negative publicity to OSS. I've got more
> respect for the police than most people have, but I don't think they're
> more honest than anyone else. This guy's the IT manager for a large
> organisation, who's just chosen closed source. That automatically means
> anything he says about his decision is a lie.

Really? THey had OSS for four years. Hardly a flash in the pan. Also
they originally got it because of cost but it has been proven over the
years to be more expensive - free to buy, dear to support.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.
.