Re: Creditors - Final Accounts

On 27 Nov, 14:27, "Tim" <m...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
"PeterSaxton" wrote
CORRECT - A: Six plus six equals twelve;
B: A said: "Six plus six equals twelve"

INCORRECT - A: Six plus six equals twelve;
B: A said: "Two sixes equal twelve"

CORRECT - A: Six plus six equals twelve;
B: A said that two sixes equal twelve.

The difference is that if somebody put text in quotes it
means that it is an exact copy of the quote. This wasn't...

"Tim" wrote:
As usual, you are very narrow-minded, Peter.

I refer you to Wikipedia :-
"... another convention when quoting text in the body of a paragraph
or sentence, for example in philosophical essays, is to recognise
double quotation marks as marking an exact quotation, and
single quotation marks as marking a paraphrased quotation or
a quotation where grammar, pronouns or plurality have been
changed in order to fit the sentence containing the quotation..."

Of course, the OP used *single* quotation marks...

"PeterSaxton" wrote
Have you got a link to what you have quoted?

There's no need - you've already found it, below...
[I had thought that even you could find it on your own.]

"PeterSaxton" wrote

I can see the following paragraph:

"Single or double quotation marks denote either speech or
a quotation. Neither style - single or double - is an absolute
rule, though double quotation marks are preferred in the United
States, and both single and double quotation marks are used
in the United Kingdom. A publisher's or even an author's style
may take precedence over national general preferences."
I have no compunction about showing the link -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks

Yep, that's the one...

"PeterSaxton" wrote

... I'm not saying you have made it up but given your
reputation I would like to see a link. ... it is strange that their
main page on quotation marks doesn't mention your theory...

Eh? Well, it *did* mention it earlier when I quoted it, and it
still *does* now! Did you actually try reading that article?
[If you really do need a hint, try looking at the
paragraph immediately above the sub-title "Irony".]

You will see that my extract appears there *verbatim*.

I didn't read every word I scanned the article.

I note that a more honest quote from the article would be as follows:

START OF QUOTE

It is generally considered incorrect to use quotation marks for
paraphrased speech where they may give the impression that the
paraphrasing represents the actual words used.

If HAL says: "All systems are functional.", then:

Wrong: HAL said that "Everything was going extremely well."
Right: HAL said that everything was going extremely well.
Right: HAL said, "All systems are functional."

However, another convention when quoting text in the body of a
paragraph or sentence, for example in philosophical essays, is to
recognise double quotation marks as marking an exact quotation, and
single quotation marks as marking a paraphrased quotation or a
quotation where grammar, pronouns or plurality have been changed in
order to fit the sentence containing the quotation (this is the same
as reported speech).

END OF QUOTE

I notice you chose to omit the first sentence from your quote which
would appear to contradict your point.

You also chose to omit the first word (However) which, in the context,
is a very important word.

It would appear another example of you deliberately avoiding something
that doesn't support your argument and also editing out of a sentence
a word that casts doubt on the validity of the convention you wish to
promote.

"PeterSaxton" wrote

You may accuse me of being narrow minded and I accept I would not
support broadening generally accepted behaviour to include lying...

More unwarranted insults?-

Who am I insulting?

I see you are unwilling to let people assess your judgement. Do you
really think bank reconciliations are unnecessary?
.