Re: Buddha's teachings for laypeople

<norbu_tragri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1190198735.499108.221010@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 18, 11:07 am, "Julian" <Julianlz...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Zen_Jan" <jhodg...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:1190132598.055724.37930@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi, I'm new to this group but would like to weigh in on the
> applicability of Buddhist teaching to laypeople. I speak from eight
> years of monastic experience in a Japanese monastery, and now thirteen
> years post-monastic.

> It's true that Buddha concentrated his teachings to those who followed
> what we now think of as a monastic life, though even that form has
> changed drastically from his time. But non-attachment doesn't mean
> pulling out of activity, removing oneself from society, etc. True non-
> attachment comes when we become one with whatever it is we're doing,
> when subject and object vanish and it's just the doing. Most of us
> have had glimpses of this, whether or not we've done Buddhist
> practice. You're digging in the garden, or dancing, or painting, or
> working on a computer porgramming problem, or even engaged in an
> absorbing conversation, and you lose track of time/space and "startle"
> back into yourself. Who was doing that activity?

> For me it was wonderful to have the time and space and nurturing
> environment of a monastery to go deeply into practice, sitting,
> investigating who I am with the guidance of a Zen master. AND now that
> I'm married, I see relationship also as a tremendous opportunity to
> explore all the same aspects of practice. Those of us in the monastery
> were still ordinary people with ordinary hang-ups, delusions,
> neuroses, etc. We didn't check those at the monastic gate, but we were
> all commited to look with attention and compassion into where all of
> that comes from.

> After doing some koan study and having the opportunity to sit
> exhaustively in silent sesshins and on my own, and often "selfishly"
> pursuing enlightment, I can now see that it is possible to pursue
> intense investigation within the confines of a "normal" everyday life.
> One practice that I've discovered since my monastic days is Focusing,
> which I feel leads to a greater capacity to stay with what has been
> called the Luminous Edge, that shimmering place of unknowing that is
> so full of potentiality and can be scary to stay with. Jack Kornfield,
> of the Insight Meditation strand, says, "Focusing is a beautiful and
> meditative approach to psychotherapy and personal growth. It offers a
> deep parallel to the practice of mindfulness in a carefully developed
> and sensitive way." It isn't the same as Buddhist practice but
> contributes to it greatly, in a synchronistic way.

> That's enough for now. Pardon my jumping in.
> Jan
>www.zenjan.com

Oh no!!!http://zenjan.com/fees.aspx

Another money grubbing charlatan!!!

Poor old Buddha.

i don't know if she is a charlatan per say, but her sense of
livelihood certainly needs review.

I'm always suspicious of those who advertise
and actively seek "customers."

If you build a better mousetrap the world
will beat a path to your door
..
Perhaps id her teachers charged her for her participation in the
upkeep of historical retreat centres and
the cost of her meals and lodging she then thought that that somehow
charging for the dharma was okay...

Is it usual for Zen temples to ask for more than "work?"

Maybe just a mistake. Maybe it wasn't clear that the dharma was free
and using the facilities required
participation. i hope, so to speak...

a heck of a misunderstanding if so.

Doing years of practice and paying for folks to house and feed you
during retreats is not like investing
in college or university. You may not charge for it afterwards. It is
not a financial investment.

According to my research the great teachers never asked for
so much as a penny and were almost drowned in donations.
I'm pretty sure that I've read that one who lives the dharma
receives the all the blessings the universe has to offer.
Besides... doesn't the demand that board and lodging
be paid for exclude the penniless?

The acid test is how one helps the poor and I see no
hint that her services are free to those without means.

Wow. She thought this could be a career?

WTF

Well, if it's not a commercial enterprise she can prove it here.

..
..

  • Re: Buddhas teachings for laypeople
    ... years of monastic experience in a Japanese monastery, ... environment of a monastery to go deeply into practice, sitting, ... investigating who I am with the guidance of a Zen master. ... Maybe it wasn't clear that the dharma was free ...
    (talk.religion.buddhism)
  • Re: Buddhas teachings for laypeople
    ... years of monastic experience in a Japanese monastery, ... environment of a monastery to go deeply into practice, sitting, ... investigating who I am with the guidance of a Zen master. ... Work in any buddhist retreat seminar etc is usually just cleaning up ...
    (talk.religion.buddhism)
  • Re: Buddhas teachings for laypeople
    ... applicability of Buddhist teaching to laypeople. ... years of monastic experience in a Japanese monastery, ... environment of a monastery to go deeply into practice, sitting, ... investigating who I am with the guidance of a Zen master. ...
    (talk.religion.buddhism)
  • Re: Buddhas teachings for laypeople
    ... applicability of Buddhist teaching to laypeople. ... years of monastic experience in a Japanese monastery, ... environment of a monastery to go deeply into practice, sitting, ... investigating who I am with the guidance of a Zen master. ...
    (talk.religion.buddhism)
  • Re: Buddhas teachings for laypeople
    ... applicability of Buddhist teaching to laypeople. ... years of monastic experience in a Japanese monastery, ... environment of a monastery to go deeply into practice, sitting, ... If you do retreats you may charge for room and board. ...
    (talk.religion.buddhism)