‘Elite not paying tax on luxury cars’
- From: Arun Bansi <arunbansi@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
* Farooq Leghari, Abida Hussain, Hina Khar among offenders
* CM takes notice
LAHORE: The Punjab Excise and Taxation Department has issued notices
to the owners of 1,600 CC luxury automobiles who owe Rs 600 million in
taxes, a private channel reported on Wednesday.
According to the channel, the people who have not paid the tax to the
government include former president Farooq Leghari, Abida Hussain,
Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz leader Zulfiqar Khosa, PML-Functional
leader Makhdoom Ahmed Mahmood, Pakistan People's Party Member of
National Assembly Hina Rabbani Khar, and retired cricketers Wasim
Akram and Inzamamul Haq.
The amount of tax ranges from Rs 150,000 to 300,000. The tax is levied
on luxury vehicles with an engine capacity of 2.5 litres and above,
the channel reported.
CM: According to a handout issued by the Directorate General Public
Relations, a provincial government spokesman said that Punjab Chief
Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken immediate notice over the report
telecast by some private TV channels about the purchase of luxury
vehicles by leading figures.
According to the spokesman, Shahbaz has directed the authorities
concerned to ensure that no new vehicle is purchased by the Punjab
Article Source: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010%5C05%5C13%5Cstory_13-5-2010_pg13_5
- Prev by Date: Five killed in terror incidents in Peshawar
- Next by Date: WB may continue help despite VAT failure
- Previous by thread: Five killed in terror incidents in Peshawar
- Next by thread: WB may continue help despite VAT failure