Court: illegal immigrants have no right to guns
- From: Klaus Schadenfreude <klausschadenfreude@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 05:28:46 -0700
DENVER (Reuters) - Illegal immigrants can be prohibited from
possessing firearms under laws passed by Congress that bar certain
groups from gun ownership, a federal appeals court has ruled.
A three-judge panel in Denver agreed with a prison sentence imposed by
a Wyoming federal judge on a Mexican national who pleaded guilty to
illegal weapons possession.
In the opinion made public on Monday, the judges said even
non-citizens in the United States on visas for legitimate reasons face
restrictions on firearms possession.
"Even those admitted on non-immigrant visas ... are prohibited from
having firearms and ammunition unless they secure a special waiver or
happen to be hunters or diplomatic or law-enforcement officials here
on business," the judges wrote.
The case stemmed from the conviction of Emmanuel Huitron-Guizar, who
was sentenced to 18 months in prison under a federal law that bars gun
ownership by illegal aliens.
- Prev by Date: Re: WTF? Once Again Terrorists Choose Bomb Over Gun Show Assault Weapons
- Next by Date: Re: McCain: "Shame on Barack Obama"
- Previous by thread: irst Monthly Budget Surplus in Three Years
- Next by thread: Re: McCain: "Shame on Barack Obama"