It's Official: .223 is now a "High Powered Cartridge"

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has asked the
White House budget office to approve an emergency request requiring
border-area gun dealers to report the sales of two or more rifles to
the same customer within a five-day period.
The emergency request, published Friday in the Federal Register, is
likely to face stiff opposition from gun rights advocates, including
the National Rifle Association. ATF wants the Office of Budget
Management to approve the request by Jan. 5.
NRA officials did not immediately return a telephone message for
comment Monday. Last week the group's chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, told
the Washington Post that the "NRA supports legitimate efforts to stop
criminal activity, but we will not stand idle while our Second
Amendment is sacrificed for politics." The Post first reported the
proposal.
High-powered rifles have become the weapon of choice for Mexico's
warring drug cartel. More than 30,000 people have been killed in
Mexico's drug war since President Felipe Calderon launched an
offensive against the powerful drug gangs shortly after taking office
in late 2006.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i3v-KcNM4rOgnPvkcSoQNa4etK-g?docId=fd67557c4b4241ed8c06b0cd184f1ed3
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cpqbz9