Re: "Accidental" Day-Care Shooting

ozarkheart@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 30 Jan 2006 04:21:49 -0800, "Phil Smythe" <smytph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

ozarkheart@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 29 Jan 2006 00:54:43 -0800, "Phil Smythe" <smytph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

ozarkheart@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 25 Jan 2006 07:51:52 -0800, "Phil Smythe" <smytph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

FerdinandAkin wrote:
B1ackwater wrote:

(cnn)
GERMANTOWN, Maryland (AP) -- A gun brought to a day care center by an
8-year-old boy accidentally went off Tuesday, wounding a 7-year-old
girl in the arm, police said.

The boy had the gun in the backpack and was playing with it when it
went off at the For Kids We Care center, Montgomery County police
spokesman Derek Baliles said.

The girl was taken to Children's Hospital in Washington, he said. Her
injury was not considered life-threatening

. . . . .

Hmmm ... another case where a gun just leaps out of
a backpack and fires on its own. Must be one of those
newfangled "smart guns" .......

This is clearly accident brought about by lack of education. It
has nothing to do with the gun itself.
The root cause of the accident rests with the parents. If they
were educated at the most basic level about guns, they would have taken
measures to keep it away from the eight year old boy. One step up is to
teach the young man safety rules about gun handling, how to shoot, and
show him what happens on the receiving end of a bullet. Putting holes
in a milk jug of water is an eye opener for most kids.
As long as people get their gun education from television, and as
long as kids think gun fights are like the game Halo, this type of
accident will continue to happen.
I took some young men (and adults) out to shoot my S&W .500 Magnum
last year. They found out quickly that milk jugs get damaged severely
by bullets, and that if a person were to get hit by one of those
bullets, hitting the reset button would not bring them back. I hear
them often talking about game playing saying "I've really shot guns
before, and it doesn't work like that!".
Education about guns is a good thing.

This is the kind of muddled-headed thinking that plagues this
newsgroup. People make statements as though they are beyond dispute,
when they are clearly misguided.

Above you wrote "It has nothing to do with the gun itself". To state
that is the height of stupidity. Didn't you read what happened? I'll
refresh you; "A gun brought to a day care center by an 8-year-old boy
accidentally went off Tuesday, wounding a 7-year-old girl in the arm,
police said."

Did you notice the reference to the "gun"?

I hope you're not so many here who reckon a gun is just a "tool" like
any other, when it clearly is not..

Of course it is.

This is the kind of muddled-headed thinking that plagues this
newsgroup. People make statements as though they are beyond dispute,
when they are clearly misguided.

The fact that it was a gun that the
8 year old had cannot be conveniently ignored as you seem to desire.

He had a dangerous tool. You just can't seem to grasp that concept,
can you?

Thanks for supporting my claim Glenn. He did indeed have a dangerous
tool and I most certainly do grasp that concept.

No, you are trying to dance.

Any tool is dangerous. I can kill you with a pair of tweezers.

You're doing the dancing and it's a pretty ugly sight. Though maybe you
have a point and it would be irresponsible of any parent to just leave
a pair of tweezers around where their 8 yr old might find them and then
take then to school and wound a classmate.

Thye have certainly done it with pencils and rulers.

Yet FerdinandAkin thinks it regrettable that an 8 year old brought a
gun to a day care centre. Based on your logic above he'd be equally
concerned about that 8 year old fronting up with pencils and rulers. A
hint mate, kids have been fronting up with these "tools" for years and
NOBODY is concerned about it, except perhaps you.

Sadly FerdinandAkin
seemed to think that the incident had nothing to do with this
"dangerous tool". What do you think the victim's parents would make of
that claim?

That someone was negligent in allowing a child acess to the gun.

Same as a child who drowns in a swimming pool.

Same as a child killed in a bicycle accident.

Despite your upgrading a wounding by way of a gun to death in a pool or
on abike they are NOT the same, and only a fool would make such a
claim.

Akin enough. After all, if someone had not built the pool....

I apologize. This requires abstract thinking and I forgot your
inability to accomplish this.

Back to your usual tactics I see, make a stupid point and just claim it
is all too much for me to grasp. You need some new material, fast.