Re: How Often Do Americans Use Guns for Defensive Purposes

<ozarkheart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:43:04 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
> <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>"Matt" <matttelles@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Reasonable, if we can define a "DGU". For example, if the police report
>>> that the offender had a gun, and it was taken away and used against
>>> him, is
>>> that a DGU? If the defender CLAIMS to have a gun, and the offender buys
>>> it
>>> (hey, I'm with the guy in this case, but..) does that count? Define the
>>> term,
>>> then we can start combing.
>>
>>**Let's make it easy. Where the defender prevents imminent bodily harm, by
>>using a gun which was legally purchased and owned by the defender. Kleck,
>>et
>>al, claim 2.5 MILLION DGUs each year. That's more than 6,800 each and
>>every
>>day in the US. Surely someone could come up TEN on any ONE given day in
>>the
>>US? Surely? I've been requesting this information for several years. Not
>>once has anyone been able to provide TEN verifiable (i.e.: Police
>>reported)
>
> And about the ones not reported?

**What about them, indeed?

> Is a woman not raped if she doesn't report it?

**I don't know. Is she?

>>DGUs on any one given day in the US. OTOH, we KNOW that there are around
>>200
>>DGUs, resulting in the death of the perp each year in the US.
>>
>>Maybe, just maybe, these alleged 2.5 million (or even 500,000) DGUs are
>>more
>>in the minds of some people than actual fact.
>
> And the 80,000 figure published by the Department of Justice?

**That figure, whilst more plausible than the nonsense sprouted by Lott, et
al, is STILL wild speculation.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

  • Re: MAN MISTAKES WIFE FOR BURGLAR, KILLS HER WITH SHOTGUN BLAST
    ... "Forty-five respondents reported a defensive gun use ... not to report it to the interviewer. ... Kleck claims that there 2.5 million DGUs each year. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: The Anti-gun Agenda
    ... DGUs each year. ... The 200 number is for justifiable homicides in the FBI UCR. ... because many jurisdictions do not report this number. ... It ignores every other defensive gun use. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: MAN MISTAKES WIFE FOR BURGLAR, KILLS HER WITH SHOTGUN BLAST
    ... "Forty-five respondents reported a defensive gun use ... not to report it to the interviewer. ... Kleck claims that there 2.5 million DGUs each year. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Handgun Murder Statistics
    ... gun was displayed but not drawn and obviously no shot was fired. ... but no report was made. ... some gun huggers about the real number of DGUs. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Handgun Murder Statistics
    ... Attacker offender with gun; ... Attacked without weapon ... Rifleman I count 6 individual DGUs reported from news papers. ... DGUs is the report of 200 killed by law abiding citizens doesn't stand ...
    (talk.politics.guns)