Re: Guns possessed by citizens and the State

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:40:29 GMT, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>"Charles L" <tjf00@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Which is of more concern, firearms in the hands of private citizens or
>> firearms in the hands of the State?
>
>**Private citizens, of course. In the US, there are nearly 10,000 gun
>related homicides each and every year.
>

>> Who has the worst record when it comes to the misuse of firearms?
>
>**How far back do you want to go?
>

>> By whom is citizen's liberty more effectively protected?
>
>**Huh? Re-phrase in a way that makes sense please.
>

>> Is the State frightened by citizens being armed?
>
>**Not in the slightest.
>
> If so, why?
>>
>> If firearm ownership by citizens is banned or hampered with onerous
>> restrictions (which amounts to the same thing really) can citizens trust
>> the
>> State with it's firearms?
>
>**It makes no difference. The state (in all Western, developed nations) has
>VASTLY more firepower than all the private citizens put together. All
>private citizens can hope to do, is be a minor inconvenience. The state is
>more threatened by the ballot box in all Western, Democratic nations. THAT
>is where REAL power resides. The vote, not the barrel of a gun.

If handguns, rifles, and shotguns in civilian hands are so
inconsequential and impotent, why then try to control them?

--
jimbo@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Something must be done... this is something...
    ... >>> American citizens, and a constant reminder to the government of the ... >>You can't legislate away firearms, we've been making them for hundreds ... The only useful defense against a criminal with a gun is to ... an armed citizenry is a threat to the government. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: ACLU defends child-molester group
    ... rights that they don't seem to like. ... constitution does not protect the rights of individual citizens of the ... United States to possess firearms. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Attention - Implications for Self Defense- Threats and Assaults
    ... research for a defensive firearms course. ... person with weapon inside the home, invader threatens and displays a weapon, ... Number of criminals: -Most often lone young male, ... Citizens activities when the ...
    (rec.martial-arts)
  • Re: Guns possessed by citizens and the State
    ... >> firearms in the hands of the State? ... >**Private citizens, of course. ... >VASTLY more firepower than all the private citizens put together. ... The vote, not the barrel of a gun. ...
    (talk.politics.guns)