DarwinTunes for MP3 players?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/06/12/1203182109

[quote]
Abstract

Music evolves as composers, performers, and consumers favor some musical variants over others. To investigate the role of consumer selection, we constructed a Darwinian music engine consisting of a population of short audio loops that sexually reproduce and mutate. This population evolved for 2,513 generations under the selective influence of 6,931 consumers who rated the loops’ aesthetic qualities. We found that the loops quickly evolved into music attributable, in part, to the evolution of aesthetically pleasing chords and rhythms. Later, however, evolution slowed. Applying the Price equation, a general description of evolutionary processes, we found that this stasis was mostly attributable to a decrease in the fidelity of transmission. Our experiment shows how cultural dynamics can be explained in terms of competing evolutionary forces. [/quote]

  • Re: DarwinTunes for MP3 players?
    ... Music evolves as composers, performers, and consumers favor some musical ... To investigate the role of consumer selection, ... Later, however, evolution ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: DarwinTunes for MP3 players?
    ... Music evolves as composers, performers, and consumers favor some musical ... Later, however, evolution ... Were audio loops more likely to sexually reproduce than the consumers? ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: American Psychology
    ... Damaeus wrote: ... business and mainstream news programs referring to people as ... "consumers" as they talk about how they can make more money off of ... How does that affect our evolution? ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: [OT] Race idea
    ... dark or pale skin may well have evolved independently in ... And it may well be that it evolves ... > that really does control human evolution: ... If one child in 250 dies of skin ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.development)
  • Re: {OT:} George Soros solution makes sense
    ... The truth about evolution is that it's one of the biggest red herrings ... The irony is that only humans ... when a species evolves it actually looses DNA. ...   This begs the question if all life evolves why are there still ...
    (rec.music.classical.guitar)