Re: Sarah Palin- creationist VP candidate?

Earle Jones <earle.jones@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In article
<a65e751e-74ab-4305-90eb-442cd348e478@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sep 2, 7:17 am, Stuart <bigdak...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:36 pm, Earle Jones <earle.jo...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article
<6e9f537a-7f42-491a-a31a-ac4991157...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

 "*Hemidactylus*" <ecpho...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:12 pm, Paul J Gans <g...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Boikat <boi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Aug 30, 11:30 am, chris thompson <chris.linthomp...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
<quote>

And earlier that year, the Anchorage Daily News reported that
Palin
said the following about creationism at a debate:

    "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of
information....Healthy
debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a
proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the
daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged
and
blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the
subject -- creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy
foundation
for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate
both
sides."
<end quote>

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles_of_faith/2008/08/sarah_pal
i...
Does Alaska currently teach the "controversy"?  Dispite the "fear"
that govenors or even presidents or VP's may have cretinoid
leanings,
even if McCain were to fill vacancies in the SCTUS, before they
could
declair "creationism" to, in some bizarre way, be "secular" (not
going
to happen) there would most likely have to be hearings. If the SC
were
to rule anything, they would most likely pass it off to the state
level, and the states might just pass it off to individual school
districts, and things would be as they are now:  Someone would call
in
the ACLU, and the school district would be sued. No matter how such
senerio would play out, the only way that creationism would, or
could,
be instated as a valid "competing theory" would be for the SCOTUS to
declare Christianity as the "State Religion", something expressly
forbidden by the Constitution.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it wouldn't go down
that way at all.  With a court full of Sarah Palins the court
would find that it is the *duty* of schools to present all sides
of a question.

And, barring a Constitutional Amendment (which would never pass)
that would be that.

The only question would be would this decision come *before*
the one overturning Roe v. Wade or after it.

There is one hell of a lot riding on this election.  One hell
of a lot.

On Pharyngula Myers posted something about Palin being a Dominionist,
whatever that means, and towards the end posts a link to the DailyKos:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/29/163234/559/495/579213
insinuating a connection between Palin and some group or movement
called "Joel's Army" which is profiled here:
http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=964

Not sure how tight any connection is, but that YouTube video where a
guy with cancer gets kicked in the belly is surely alarming. I never
heard of this group before. Now I want to load up with provisions and
retreat into a bunker in the mountains if our future is going to be
led by a bunch of psycho youth brainwashed on this sort of stuff.. What
happened to the good ole days when kids joined up with the KISS Army
and got a bunch of stupid merchandise featuring untalented rock stars
wearing makeup?

But as far as Palin goes, I'd hazard her religious views are kooky
enough, but I'm not sure a connection (or guilt by association) can be
made to the J.A. belly kickers. Lefties sometimes tend to brand people
just as quickly as their right-wing counterparts (eg. Obama= US hating
Muslim legend).

*
I would not be surprised to see Sarah Palin drop out of the race and
claim that she wants to help the party by avoiding controversy.

She has already hired a lawyer to sort out the charges against her that
she fired a state employee because he would not fire another guy who was
in the process of divorcing Palin's sister.

And today it becomes news that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is
pregnant.

Palin won't survive the convention.

Its funny that all the fundies were praying for rain last week.

Its raining now.

Stuart

In terms of big spectacle for your conference - Obama got a stadium,
McCain got a hurricane. I think McCain's ahead there.

I think fundies will bend over backwards to make excuses for Sarah
Palin about the pregnant daughter thing. Specifically for making the
kids get married (she's 17, that'll work well) and not have an
abortion. Fail either of those and it gets a lot more difficult.
Well, if he runs off to Canada then that's quite manageable too -
awkward if he's also dodging military service.

I'm conflicted. I think McCain is much worse for the U.S. but that's
what I want. The nation needs some suffering and humility, and also
privation. Sorry, folks.

*
If McCain/Palin win, I'm applying for citizenship in your country. Or
maybe I'll move to Vancouver.

I'd make a good Brit. I almost speak the language. Would the UK
welcome a useless 77 year-old ex-engineer with some money?

earle

You *can't* be 77. That would make you two years older than me!

--
--- Paul J. Gans, whose geezerhood is being threatened...

.