Re: The Catholic Curch And Science - Proposed FAQ (long)

alwaysaskingquestions <alwaysaskingquestions@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Perplexed in Peoria" <jimmenegay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"alwaysaskingquestions" <alwaysaskingquestions@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:56b1gsF2810igU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"alwaysaskingquestions" <alwaysaskingquestions@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/index.html

That seems to be the current edition,

Boy, I sure hope not:
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume V. Published 1909.
New York: Robert Appleton Company.
Nihil Obstat, May 1, 1909. Remy Lafort, Censor.
Imprimatur. +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York

Sorry, my mistake, I thought the encyclopedia had been updated; it does
indeed make interesting reading.

Oh, the CE has indeed been updated - many times. But NewAdvent
is an extremely conservative sect of Catholicism, and their online version
of the encyclopedia apparently includes only the last revision they agree
with. Mostly 1909, some from earlier, and in a few cases they go up to
1911. I haven't seen any articles dated after 1911 though.

As a quick test on how up to date it is, I did a check on 'Vatican Council'
to find that the last one opened 8 December, 1869, and adjourned on 20
October, 1870 :)

It would actually be quite interesting if older editions of some other
encyclopaedias were available online to check contemporary thinking on
various subjects.

I think that the Encyclopedia Britannica is online in an older editions
somewhere.
--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts

.