Re: The long neck of the giraffe: a just-so story

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 05:52:46 -0700, TomS wrote:

"On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:15:40 GMT, in article
<pan.2006.09.02.20.15.17.473578@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Isaak stated..."

Nilgai. Its scientific name, Boselephas tragocamelus, gives a good
description of it; it translates literally as "cow-deer goat-camel."

How silly of me not to have thought of that!

And now we should hear from a certain poster to t.o how "nilgai" is
not a "common English name".

By the way, why isn't "Boselephas" literally "cow-elephant"?

Probably. But I misspelled the word. It should be Boselephus, which
comes from _elephos_, which is Greek for deer.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) earthlink (dot) net
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of

.