Re: Is god(s) a valid concept?

On Jan 4, 12:00 pm, Toby A Inkster <usenet200...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Ron Peterson wrote:
I think that Buddhism is a religion and all religions are theistic in
essence.

Personally I would say that Buddhism is a philosophy that most of its
adherents follow as a religion. I do think that it's possible to follow
the teachings of Buddhism without being religious, and certainly without
believing in any deities.

A god shouldn't be interpreted as something that is necessarily
worshipped (what ever that means).

Is a teapot a god? If not, why not?

To my knowledge, no religion considers a teapot as a source of
authority for its dogma. Hence, it isn't a god for any religion.

I think that if you don't include "worshipability" in your definition of a
god, then your definition becomes too encompassing.

Satan is a god that isn't worshipped.

--
Ron

  • Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT ALL WORLD RELIGIONS, - Free repost with case and typo fixes
    ... Buddhism was founded by Lord Buddha who has declared that there isn't ... Christianity was founded by Jesus who says he was the son of god. ... a god and he is also from the god realm. ... Muhammad says that religion is important which is true religion is ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • Re: Happy Birthday ! -Re: 1907-----2007
    ... non-politically that they rejected the notion that a god had direct ... Buddhism accepts this kind of belief, as a tool to cope with the various inequities of life, yet allows that ultimately they may or may not be true, but buddhism is the ONLY religion that will own up to the fact that they are not ultimately true. ... Conditional beliefs are in the realm of relative reality, not the realm of ultimate reality. ...
    (soc.senior.issues)
[...]
    ... >>> were Deists who didn't believe a god had anything to do with human ... buddhism is the ONLY religion that will own up to the fact that they are not ... ultimate reality. ...
    (soc.senior.issues)