Why the internet did not go down during the earthquake in JAPAN?

I stumbled across this only because in a few days
I'm getting AT&T fiber optic network for my P.C.
I'm getting a new router that works with it.
I was using their DSL with no problems.

Bottom line with the disaster in Japan, that there
are so many crisscrossing internet connections that,
like the human body, they can repair themselves.
Your heart/body can create a new artery, if one is
blocked and can work around it (not all the time, but sometimes)
Like the ad where the robotic machines repair each
other if there is a disruption.